GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:20:01 +0000
Samba, thanks for this forward.  If you replace the names of the criminals
listed below with Yaya Jammeh, you get the same result.  Gambians are going
to make an example of Yaya and his rats.  If they are lucky, they will be
alive.  However, if they are alive, they will spend the rest of their lives
paying for their crimes in prison doing hard labor with no room for parole.
TRC has not worked for Africa and it is about time Africans send a loud and
clear message to would be criminals.  We are not going to baby-sit anyone.
Yaya will answer to the massacre of the students, the murder of Koro Ceesay,
and the many summary assassinations and tortures in the name of foiling
coups.  He will also cough up our treasury or the state will cement his
entire stomach for good.  Any government that cuddles our criminals will
have the legal wrestle of their life, for all that are culpable shall be
brought to justice no matter the obstacle.  Knowing the idiots, they may
think that we will just reconcile and let them loose to carry on with their
lives.  No, no, no, my friends.  TRC is just Africa's way of avoiding
dealing with the truth.  Is Milosevic under a TRC or a tribunal and in jail?
  And that is in the West with their democracy.  So who are Africans kidding
with TRCs.  Governments like South Africa may think they've taken the sorrow
out of the victims, but in fact the victims are a ticking time bomb that are
either going to explode on the innocent or lash out at their offenders some
day.  None of the people who lost loved ones or survived their torture are
happy that the worst offenders are arrogantly roaming the streets.  It is
just a matter of time.  And so, the people will never forget, no matter how
long and painful the wait.

This is not about getting even, but all about sending a loud and clear
message that we as a people will not tolerate abuse from anyone, no matter
how brutal or powerful.  If our society has no problem sending pickpockets
to jail for a decade, what hypocrisy are we acting reconciling with
murderers and state looters.  The reason we drifting that way in Africa is
because of our worship of wealth no matter how it was begotten.  For Gambia
to have a clean start at civilization, we have to clean our filth.  Anything
less, means grooming another Jammeh yet unborn.  We cannot live through
another round of a Jammeh type and if it is to happen it is not going to be
a Gambia that any of us ever seen, for folks will just take matters in their
own hands and not let anyone, not even the state, to choke them to a slow
death.

I know we Africans love life and would endure a great deal, far more than
other peoples, before we snap.  However, the new generations have learnt
well from slavery, colonization, and now dictatorships, that none will kill
them while they watch.  They had rather die than tolerate a slow and
unnecessary death.  So, Jammeh can continue his ways and act like he will
terrorize Gambians for life.  The best days for Gambians are on the side of
we, the people.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou