GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:41:50 -0500
Hello, Saul, as far as people not wanting to do anything about a situation,
unless it affects them, I think that you find that in a lot of places
besides The Gambia.  Sometimes, and this is sad, it is easier not to do
anything, and to just let things happen, that is if they are not affecting
you.
     I think that the people who would "stick out their neck" for someone
else are in the minority because, to be honest, it takes a special kind of
person to do that.  Not everyone is willing to sacrifice their lives for
something that doesn't directly affect them.
     I know that this isn't right, and to me, this is a dangerous way to go
for the people in The Gambia at this stage.  Especially since, I think, that
if Jammeh is elected President, I am afraid that The Gambia will not be able
to survive it.
     I don't think that The Gambia can take much more of this government as
it is.
     I try not to say too much about what goes on politically in The Gambia
because I am not a Gambian, and I do not feel that it is my place to comment
on matters and things I, as a non-Gambian, know very little if anything
about.  Plus, I don't want to give the impression that I, for some reason,
think I am better than, or know more than, someone else because I am an
American.  So, I made the decision to just read the postings on the list,
and keep tabs on the situation.
     I chose to comment on your post because I don't think that it is just
in The Gambia that you find a sense of apathy among people.  And I can
understand your frustration in trying to combat that.
That is all I wanted to say.  I hope that I made some sense.
Ginny