GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:05:05 -0400
Joe, for your information, I can categorically tell you that I know more
about Chongan than you can ever imagine. I have refrained myself on numerous
occasions to get into this with you, but things are simply getting out of
hand. I refrained myself not because I want to make friends on G_L. I
refrained myself because I value some of the contributions you are making to
the struggle. But rest assured also that like you claim, I also speak my
mind and defend myself.

Unlike you, when I saw Chongan's post, I prioritized. Commonsense told me
that Yankuba Touray and Edward Singhateh are still in power and were active
participants in the torture that was narrated. Now, with that mindset, you
expect me to stay mute when I see people making spiteful allegations against
Chongan trying to equate the actions of our current predators with some bar
brawls? Remember, that I encouraged Chongan to speak out before he came to
corroborate Colly's piece. I do NOT give people the lead and then try to
trip them. That is one Gambian ailment that I do NOT suffer from. You are
darn right we have a bigger fish to fry. Just tell us how you were frying
that fish by ignoring Yankuba Touray's atrocities and instead zooming on
what Chongan and his 'batch mates' were doing in 1985.

Chongan has no power now. Probably will never hold office in the country
again. The brother is trying to contribute to help get rid of Yaya. The
least people can do is save him from character assassination. For the past
three days I have been waiting for one of you to tell us what horrible
things Chongan did to warrant these assaults. I am talking about Chongan in
particular. Not his 'batch mates' or his 'cronies'. Remember, I did NOT
force you to engage in this exercise. Out of your own volition, you decided
to say what you said about Chongan in response to Ous Ngum's post. Calling
him your brother does not mean a thing to me. Like you, I can also read the
English Language and understand what I read.
KB