GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:03:02 -0500
Hamjatta,
I need not explain to you why I did not respond earlier since you are fully
aware of the reason.  Jeffrey Sach is not alone in blamimg the IMF for the
financial woes of the emerging markets. He is in the good company of
Lawrence Summer(who is regarded in other quarters as the most intelligent
economist alive)and an array of Asian and Latin American economists and
bankers, not to mention the economists at the US Treasury.  The handling of
the Asian financial crisis and the Russian fiasco accrelerated the exit of
Camdessus. Ironically, he was warning the world in Bangkok yesterday of yet
another impending financial melt-down unless "individual countries follow
through on nitty-gritty of reforms encouraged over the past few years by
the Fund."