GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:42:05 PST
Omar Drammeh,

Thanks for forwarding the draws for next year's European Cup, to be
co-hosted by Holland and Belgium. When I saw the draws, I thought Group D,
where you have Holland, France, Denmark and the Czech Republic, is
definitely toughest group. What do you think?

I, personally, want Holland to win, not only the group, but the European cup
as well. I was a fan of Frank Rijkaard, the Dutch Coach, during the time
when he was in the Dutch National team, together with Ruud Gullit and Marco
Van vasten; and I, for one, would be over the moon if Holland were to win
the European cup.

Blacks have done very well playing soccer, but we are yet to do very well in
soccer management. In fact, in the first place, there are not many black
soccer coaches/managers in Europe. So wouldn't it be nice if Frank Rijkaard
(and his Dutch team) were to win the European Cup? If Holland were to win
the European cup, then Frank Rijkaard would have been the first black
manager to win the European cup of Nations.

England have also been drawn into a very tough group. Already they (the
English) have started saying that they'll qualify in their group, but I'll
be surprised if England were to make it to the next round. Portugal have not
been lucky to go to the World cup, but, on paper, they are a good side.

And with Figo of Barcelona, Rui Costa of Fiorentina and others in good form,
they could surprise a lot of people. As for Romania, we all know that they
are a good side.

With regard to Germany, it is true that, of late, the standard of German
football has been declining, but Germany always find a way of winning big
tournaments. There is no dispute about the fact that German football is
declining, and the fact that they still couldn't find someone to replace
Matthaus, who is now 38 years plus, says it all.

However, as I indicated before, Germany, whether they are in good form or
not, always do well in major soccer competitions.

In your last posting, you mentioned how talented Zola is, and you also
wondered why the Italian National Team Coach, Dino Zoff, does not pick him
(Zola) in the Italian National Team.

Well, Omar, I have also been asking the same question. Zola is one the
finest players I have watched, so far, in the game; and English football, in
my view, is lucky to have such a talent playing in England.

I don't know why Dino Zoff doesn't pick him, perhaps he (Zoff) does not rate
English football very highly. But one thing I can safely say is that Zola
has nothing to prove to anyone. Every soccer fan knows that he is a talent.
I am of the view that Italy would do well, in the European cup, if Zola were
to lead their attack in Holland, next year.

By the way, do you get BBC (TV) sports in Norway? What about Sky Sports?
What about the excellent BBC Radio Five Live, whose entire coverage is
Sports and News? BBC Radio Five Live has this wonderful commentator, called
Alan Green, and he makes my evening, whenever I watch football and listen to
his frank and excellent commentaries.

Sky Sports also has an excellent soccer analyst, Andy Gray, you should know
him because he used to play for Everton in the 80s.  He too is good. He is
Scottish, and I love his strong accent.

By the way, last night, the BBC awarded the Sports personality of the
Millennium to boxer Muhammed Ali, while the UK sports personality of the
year went to Lennox Lewis, the boxer. Maurice Greene, the American athlete,
won the overseas sports personality of the year award.

I heard Maurice Greene, being interviewed this morning, on the BBC Radio
Five Live, and I was disappointed when he confirmed that he does not talk to
fellow athlete, Michael Johnson of USA. This, he said, has been going on for
some time now.

So you grew up at Lancaster Street, where Real had its base. No wonder you
like soccer. By the way, I enjoyed your last piece, and it certainly
reminded me of some names I almost forgot. By the way, one of Alagie Nyan's
sons came to Birmingham, some time ago, when his Norwegian team played Aston
Villa of Birmingham in the UEFA cup.

Yes!! you reminded me of Sereign Saihou Sarr, Sheriff Jobe, but, more
importantly, a friend Joe Gaye of Ports. I used to call Joe Gaye "Umbre" or
"uncle". He too was very skilful, and had over 1000 dribbling tricks. Do you
remember Amat Joof (Tan), Rilwan Mboob(Pom) and Joe Gaye playing together in
the midfield of Ports, when Axi Gaye/Kebba Ceesay used to coach Ports.

Real De Banjul also had its good days and glories in Gambian football. Where
is Gibou Nyang (Mbollay)? Let me give you some names of players who played
for Real: Ebou Dubois, Pa Mu ndow, Commy Owens, Garba Touray, Henry Moore,
Amadou Adams, Saihou Saar.

Let me also give you some names of players who played for the Gambian soccer
squad: Dalasi, Edar Kah, Charlie Boy, Lamin Owens, Bill Badgie, Pochi Sarr,
Ayo Jobe, Malamin Badjie, Olu Rich, the late Dodou Saine, Goal keeper Saho,
Lamin Owens, Lie Ndure, Alagie Cole, Alagie sarr, Joe Sambou, Mustapha
Minteh, Peter Prom, Bla Sibbi, Abou Johnson. I can go on and on.

The Reuben Ceesays (Abega), the Eliman Lemons, the Adi Fofana (Ian Rush),
the Saul Jagnes, the Bla Taals and others were also very talented.

Omar, with regard to your invitation to come to Norway for the "Cultural
Week"; well, I'll try and attend it next time, by the grace of God. In fact,
I should definitely feel at home in Norway, because  many of my first
cousins, on my mother's side, live and settle there.

Do you know Waraha Nyan, Batch (Don), Omar Njie, Dox Njie, Alagie Taala,
Abdou Saar (Sara), Baboucarr Njie, Masamba (Ndara), Tuti Faal (not Jammeh's
ex wife)? (laugh). You can therefore see for yourself that Norway is
certainly one country I should visit.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK.