GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:31:50 +0000
Mr Jarju

This is a BIG LOSS to all those who knew Pa Touray.

From a personal perspective, Pa Touray commonly known
as ABESS was my childhood hero. Even Youssou Ndour has
acknowledged Pa Touray as the one who inspired him. Pa
Touray was definitely all rounder; a man who could
sing in different local languages. The Gambia has
definitely lost a Great Singer!!!

In fact, I still have copies of Pa Touray's last
tracks sang under the following Albums -MANTRA by
IFANGBONDI released in 1984, SANJO by IFANGBONDI
released in 1991 and MANDINGO BEAT by SOTO KOTO BAND,
relesed in 1993.

In all honest, Pa Touray was great singer and it was
for this reason that he was unofficially called the
God Father of Gambian Music. He will definitely be
missed, May his soul rest in perfect peace

As we mourn the death of a Great Gambian Singer, I
extend my heartfelt condolenses to the following;

Mr Abdoulie Mbye alias Efrie
The Sosseh Family
Ndey Touray( daughter of Pa Touray ) and all his
wonderful kids

To the bereaved family, I say May His Soul Rest in
Perfect Peace.

Sanusi

 --- Kebba Jarju <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > [ This
e-mail is posted to Gambia|Post e-Gathering

http://uk.my.yahoo.com