GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:15:53 +0000
        " O children of Adams!Let not Shaitan(satan)
           deceive you,as he got your parents[Adam &
           Hawwa(Eve)]out of Paradise,stripping them
           Of their raiments,to show them their private
           parts….." Holy Quran Surah 7  ayat 27.

         THE BENEFITS OF PRAYER

The greatest gift that was made to the Muslim Ummah was the gift of
Prayer,which as it turns out is a vehicle for mankind’s constant communion
with his Lord and Creator five times everyday.Prayer is the basis of an
intimate relationship,a private and direct relationship between a Muslim and
Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala.When we talk or write about prayer,it is the
prayer of sincerity,the prayer which elevates man to a higher degree of
existence when he humbles himself to his Creator.Prayer sincerely performed
is a mould in which man casts himself so that his every action becomes
Subservient to the thought that he will in the next hour or two have to
present himself in front of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala and in this respect a
mu’min will knowing that he must face his Lord very shortly,always act in
the best manner.Prayer is the light for his conduct,to keep him from
shameful and unjust behaviour.The Holy Quran says in surah 29,verse
45:”Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to thee,and establish
Regular Prayer,for prayer restraints from shameful and unjust deeds;and
remembrance of Allah is the greatest( thing in life) without doubt.And Allah
knows(The deeds) that ye do.”
During the life time of our beloved Prophet(peace and blessing of Allah be
upon him) one of the Muslims committed a shameful act.When Rasullullah was
informed about it he asked his informants “Does the man pray?”They answered
“yes he does”,then the Prophet said “ one day,his prayer will stop him from
the performance of shameful deeds”. Prayer purifies a person from all things
unwholesome.
It is reported the Prophet(peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said:”
if a man has
difficulty with his family, his money , or his neighbour it can be overcome
by prayer, fasting,giving in charity and enjoining what is right and
forbidding what is abhorrent.”
This is the purpose of sincere prayer,not merely to go to the mosque and bow
and prostrate without it affecting your behaviour towards your
fellowmen.Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala does not need the prayer of those who
lie and cheat and do all sorts of abomination and then come to prayer in
pretence.Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala says in the Holy Quran Surah 107,Verses
4-6: “ so woe to the worshippers who are neglectful of their
salat(prayers).Those who (want but) to be seen (of men).”
Muslims must understand that on the day of Judgement the first thing that
will be asked of them,is if they performed their prayer? If they did then
whatever comes next will be easier for them and if they did not then their
accounting will not go well.There will be no opportunity for creative
Accounting!!
Even in life when one is greatly troubled the only thing that relieves it is
genuine and sincere prayer.This is what Rasul Allah taught,for whenever he
was troubled or when the Muslims were troubled he would say to Bilal “ Oh
Bilal! Call for the prayer to satisfy us.”
Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’Ala says in the Holy Quran Surah 2 Verse 45,46:”
Nay,seek Allah’s help with patient  perseverance and prayer:It is indeed
hard,except to those who bring a lowly spirit,who bear in mind the certainty
that they are to meet their Lord and that they are to return to Him.”
Our beloved Prophet(peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)described the
efficacy of prayer  in the following way.He said: “ If there is a river near
you and you wash in it five times every day, will any part of you still be
soiled?” The answer was:”No”. “ This is what prayer does for you,for it
washes away your sins.”
A Muslim must continue with his prayer,and has to go to the mosque if it is
possible,because it is a sign of belief(Iman).It is reported the
Prophet(peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said: “If you see a man
coming to the mosque regularly for prayer,be a witness that he is a Muslim”.
Then he read Verse 18 of Surah 9 : “ The Mosque of Allah shall be visited
and maintained by such as believe in Allah and the Last Day, establish
regular prayers,and practice regular charity, and fear none (at all) except
Allah. It is they who are expected to be on true guidance.”
Those who continue and are constant in prayer they have a promise from Allah
Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala that they  will enter Paradise.
Prayer is very important and is like the head of the  body,and it will be
the last thing a Muslim loses of his religion. If he loses that   it means
that he has lost his religion.
Some scholars have opined that Prayer is the scale by which men are to be
judged,and if the character of  one needed to be known  they asked about his
prayer;if he was one who performed it,then he was trusted with everything
but if there was no prayer he was not trusted.
It is therefore important for Muslims to be steadfast in their prayer and
make the extra effort to teach it to their children.Because if children grow
up in this way they will never be lost.But if you ignore the children and
your family and you don’t teach them prayer and good manners they will
become prey to the evil that surrounds them and they will be lost. This is
clear from the Holy Quran Surah 43,Verses 36 & 37 : “ If anyone withdraws
himself from the remembrance of (God) Most Gracious,We appoint for him an
evil one,to be an intimate companion to him.Such (evil ones) really hinder
them from the Path, but they think that they are being guided aright.!”
If Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala has honoured us by Islam and made us the best
nation,surely,we have to live up to the expectations and not just satisfied
that we are Muslims in name only. We have to practice our belief in the
manner prescribed.
You are,as Muslims duty bound to show your belief,to indicate where you
stand and be an inviter to Islam in a good manner,to do thus is to worship
Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala
When the time of prayer arrives,you have to perform your salat and invite
other muslims to join you.My dear brothers and sisters when you think of the
Day of Judgement think about your salat,please do not neglect it, for if you
do there will be no security nor rest.Obey Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala and
worship Him if you are  believers.The Holy Quran says: “Obey  Allah and His
Messenger if you are believers.”
At this point, it is worth reminding you of the supplication of Syeddena
Ibrahim when he asked Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala  in Surah 14, Verses 40 and
41 : “ O my lord! Make me one who establishes regular prayer,and also (raise
such) among my offspring O our lord! And accept thou my prayer. O our Lord!
Cover (us) with thy forgiveness—me, my parents and (all) Believers), On the
Day that the Reckoning will be established!” Ameen.

ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING  DATE OF  RAMADAN.

ALLAH WILLING WE SHALL BE STARTING THE MONTH OF FASTING ON THE 6TH OR 7TH
NOVEMER,BUT YOU WILL NEED TO PHONE YOUR LOCAL MOSQUE OR ISLAMIC CULTURAL
CENTRE FOR CONFIRMATION OF THE CITING OF THE MOON. BEFORE STARTING YOUR
FAST.Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala say in the Holy Quran Surah 2 ,verse 185 "
….….So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of ) the month
(of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home),he must observe Saum(Fasts) that
month……."
MAY ALLAH SUBHANAHU WA TA’ALA ACCEPT OUR DEVOTION DURING THIS BLESSED AND
HOLY MONTH.AMEEN.

With the very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo
Glasgow,
Scotland
UK.
Da’wah is to convey the message with wisdom and with good words. We should
give the noble and positive message of Islam. We should try to emphasize
more commonalities and explain the difference without getting into
theological arguments and without claiming the superiority of one position
over the other. There is a great interest among the people to know about
Islam and we should do our best to give the right message.
May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,guide us all to His Sirat Al-Mustaqim (Righteous
Path).May He protect us from the evils of this life and the hereafter.May
Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,grant us entrance to paradise .
We ask Allaah the Most High, the All-Powerful, to teach us that which will
benefit us, and to benefit us by that which we learn. May Allaah Subhanahu
Wa Ta'ala grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family
and
companions..Amen.