GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Adama Sey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:45:42 +0000
Now i do agree with one of Dr.Havenlange's(former FIFA President) statement
where he said FIFA was the most powerful organization in the world.When asked
why that,he simply said,"which sport or actinvity do you think can bring the
whole world together within minutes, only football can do that".
Look at what is happening in the bantaba now.Can't just believe my eyes when
i saw Joe Sambou's posting.Wounderful footballer he was.I use to enjoy his
little dashes.

Concerning the above topic, i think Omar,Yus,Joe and OB have said it all.
The issue of engaging European Coaches by African FAs is a great sickness in
the Continent.To me it is agreat insult on our intellengence.What special
skills do they inject onto our players? Don't just know.These players of
ours are naturally skillfull and needs nothing but only little brushing
which could be done by our own local coaches.Did Joe Sambou,Star Janneh or
Abede PE

Abede Pele go to any Fooball Academy,no of course.What we still fail to
realize is that, the top coaches in Europe don't go to Africa.It is those
that can't find good jobs over here are the ones sent to us.

We have the potentials, why not utilize it.Yus did mentioned Yeo Marshall of
Cote d'ivore as a typical example.This country had spent millions of CFA on
foreign coaches over a lengthy period of time,but couldn't win any major
african trophy.With Yeo,they lifted the Cup of Nations trophy in Senegal
for the first time.And take it from me,there many Yeos in the continent
who could do the same if no more.Let's assess a man like Mawade Wade of
senegal.Here is one person who can even lead the English Squad.
He has been in football for over 35 years and knows it to his finger tips.
I have been fortunate to share table with him in many international forums,but
when he talks you would realize that he knows what he is talking off.But
look at what is happening in his counrty.They've gone in for a German coach.

The other problem area is the attitude of our own players.As Joe rightly mentioned, our players tends to pay more aligiance to Europeans Coaches than their
own.This is really sad.

I think the only way forward is to give the necessary support to our locals
and this is only when we can gain something.
Adou Sey