GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:58:31 -0400
Folks
I have no doubt that Mr. Ambassador will have plenty of advise and briefs
about the situation in the Gambia but we should not take anything for
granted. In addition to the fact that Gambia was the first to congratulate
then Governor Bush for his election victory even before Americans declare
him so, there is evidence that Jammeh is paying some serious money to
lobbyists in and around Washington.

To make sure that Mr. Ambassador hears the whole and nothing but the whole
Gambian story we must do our part. I am suggesting that one of the
organizations (MRDG-NY perhaps) takes lead and collect all relevant
testimonies and facts on the Gambia (hardcopy if necessary) and forward it
to Mr. Ambassador before his departure to the Gambia. To make sure he gets
the message fast we should send him a general petition through one of the
petition writing facilities. I do not doubt Mr. Ambassador's skills or
judgment but this looks like his first time as Ambassador and Jammeh will be
very much aware of this.

Malanding Jaiteh