GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 19:36:32 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Folks,

 I love this article.

 > http://www.nationaudio.com/News/EastAfrican/Current/Opinion/

>&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Me too Madiba.

The fact that these White landowners who just waltzed into Africa and siezed
land that belongs to Africans are asking for compensation is beyond belief. I
have always said that if they want to be compensated for stolen African land
, then they should be paid by the ones who enabled the uninvited illegal
occupation , the British government.No other agreement is required.

What irony for  London to have the audacity to lay down conditions to boot.
So long as we have these absentee owners of African land, we are just
perpetrating colonialism from a distance.If someone stole your land and
imposes themselves on you, and then finally leaves  but keeps your land, they
have not really given you a thing back, and we are deluding ourselves. What
is even more amazing is that we in Africa continue to abide by these
ridiculous arrangements rather than just taking our land back and referring
any illegal claimants to the sources that gave them something they had no
right to give in the first place.

It is no surprise that the Western World is in cohoots on this one, as they
always are when it comes to matters relating to Africa. Most of them are
sitting on  land that was illegally gotten, and supporting anything contrary
to what the British are doing in Africa will be a self endictment.However,
the solution lies not with the land grabbers and illegal occupants, but in
the hands of those whose lands were stolen. All they need to do is simply
reclaim it because no one else is going to do it for them.

Jabou Joh