GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:17:54 +0100
Issue No. 56/2005, 18-20 July, 2005

Editorial

Allegations Against IEC

In the hastily prepared press release from State House announcing removing the IEC Chairman and two other commissioners from office, a number of allegations have been made. The press release noted that the President relied on section 42(6)(a) to remove Mr. Gabriel Roberts, Chairman and Messrs James Abraham and Momodou Njie, members from office.

According to section 42(6)(a) “for inability to perform the functions of his or her office whether arising from infirmity of mind or body or from any other cause;”

The key word here is inability. However, the long list of allegations suggests misconduct and not inability. The allegations can be summed up as follows:-

(1)        Since 1996 IEC failed to enforce the provisions of the Elections Decree thereby allowing the UDP to engage “in campaign of violence and intimidation against APRC militants which led to the killing of an APRC supporter in Basse.”

(2)        Failure to prevent violence by the opposition during the 1996 and 2001 elections and allowing the opposition militants to harass the ruling party militants.

(3)        The IEC failed to uphold the electoral code during the 2001 presidential elections when they accepted yellow ballot tokens from Britain which was the colour of the opposition UDP.

(4)        The IEC failed to enforce constitutional provision preventing any member of the National Assembly from becoming a member of two political parties.

(5)        Using dark rooms as polling booths during the presidential elections of 1996 and 2001 which it considered as a malpractice.

(6)        Siding with the opposition in court

(7)        Failure of the IEC to conduct a by-election when four seats of opposition members were declared vacant while it conducts by-election when an APRC seat was declared vacant.

What the President should realise is that an independent institution should remain independent and not be dictated or influenced by any other force or authority. This is why section 43(3) of the constitution states: “In the exercise of its functions under this constitution or any other law, the Commission shall not be subject to the direction or control of any other person or authority.”

Decisions taken by the independent institutions may sometimes hurt the government of the day. It may even be a wrong decision from the point of view of the government but any draconian measure would tantamount to imposing on the independence of the institution. In a country like Ghana, for example, the Chairman of the electoral commission is appointed for life and cannot be removed from office by the president.

It is good for a president to have a broad horizon and look towards a progressive future.

PRICE OF FUEL UP

The price of fuel has gone up gain. A press release issued by the Department of State for Finance and Econmic Affairs indicated the following price increases:

(i)         The pump price of diesel has been increased from D21.50 to D25.00 per litre

(ii)         The pump price of petrol has increased from D22.00 to D27.00 per litre.

The new prices represent an increase of 16.3% and 22.77% respectively.

The release goes on to note that the decision is necessitated by an increase in the world market price of oil. It also indicated that consideration was given to the burden imposed on the budget by the subsidy on oil prices. The release concluded by saying that the impact on the welfare of the people is realised but that the new prices are the lowest possible prices.

Fuel is the life blood of the economy. Petrol and Gas oil are mostly used by transports. Thus an increase in the price of fuel can impact on the prices of goods and services including fares. We shall study the impact in the coming days.

The question is, has the government examined other options other than the increase in the price of fuel.

PENSIONER’S CASE ADJOURNED

By Bubacarr K. Sowe

The Civil Suit involving Almamy Ceesay (a retired Civil Servant) and the State was on Thursday adjourned by Justice Izuako of the Banjul High Court.

Almamy Ceesay of Sankandi village worked at Bansang Hospital between 1963 and 1998.  Mr. Ceesay decided to institute legal action against the defendant after the latter allegedly failed to pay him his pension dues.  Mr. Ceesay who retired from work in 1998, is yet to receive the fruit of his labour.

Mr. Ceesay started working as a hospital guard in 1963 at Bansang Hospital.  His devotion and dedication to duty enabled him to rise to the rank of Chief Orderly at the hospital, making him in charge of waste disposal.

Almamy claims he was forced to retire two years before he was due for retirement.  However, Almamy was given part payment by the Accountant General which he queried was small.  He pursued his claim administratively but without success.  He then took the matter to the Ombudsman.

Finally, he decided to take the matter to court to seek redress.  The case has been adjourned till 21st July 2005.

LEGAL AID FOR THE VULNERABLE

Human Rights Lawyer, Emmanuel Joof who spoke at the launching of the Foundation for Legal Aid, Research and Empowerment, on Friday 8th July 2005 indicated that the aforesaid Foundation is to promote a culture of the rule of law and the dissemination of knowledge amongst the general public, of the operative nature of the laws of the Gambia.  The human rights lawyer said this would be done through legal education, mainly by the use of the mass media, i.e., Radio, Television and the Print media.  The creation of a quarterly law journal as well as making legal aid services to be easily accessible and affordable to the most vulnerable groups of our society who may not be able to afford the services of the legal system due to lack of resources.

Mr. Joof further indicated that very soon, legal aid clinics will be established in both the rural and urban areas for those vulnerable groups who are aggrieved but cannot afford to pay the services of lawyers; noting it is envisaged that the foundation will be able to receive funding in order to pay the legal fees to the pool of lawyers who will be willing and ready to represent aggrieved clients once they pass the necessary means and merit test which will be established in the form of a guideline by the foundation.  He said lawyers willing to take probono cases will be encouraged.

Mr. Joof further indicated that a foundation of such nature was long overdue.  He reminded the gathering of the activities of the defunct African Society of International and Comparative Law Studies in collaboration with the ActionAid, during which period, weekly legal clinics were held in the KMC and the Upper River Division town of Basse.  He contended that during the 24 months legal education, programmes were also conducted on both the radio and television on different legal topics such as labour laws, immigration laws, land matters, fundamental human rights, police powers etc etc; that during the period there was also a sensitisation campaign on the constitutional rights and duties of the citizens, in which most lawyers proudly felt honoured to participate in all parts of society.  This programme, Mr. Joof said was able to benefit a large number of both the needy in both rural and urban areas either directly of indirectly.  He asserted that the responsibility therefore to impart
 the awareness of law and related activities as in the objectives of this Foundation, becomes the duty of a lawyer.

Mr. Joof further opined that the Foundation will also conduct training, organise lectures, symposia, workshops and seminars for capacity building, and more importantly the Foundation will lobby the reform of outdated laws and policies that discriminates against the poor and vulnerable.

ABDOULIE KUJABI & OTHERS GET REPRIEVE

President Yaya Jammeh’s resolve to implement the findings of the Anti Corruption Commission that was presided over by Justice Paul is facing bottlenecks following Justice Izuako’s decision to restrain the state from seizing the assets of the indicted officers pending the determination of the suits filed by the plaintiffs at the Court of Appeal.  Abdoulie Kujabi and the former Inspector General of Police Ebou Njie were present at Thursdays hearing of the matter.

Readers could recall that Justice Tahirr had earlier granted an application for an interim injunction to the SoS for Agriculture Yankuba Touray, former Inspector General of Police Ebou Njie, former Director of Immigration Tamsir Jasseh, former Director of the National Intelligence Agency Abdoulie Kujabi, former Protocol Officer James Kujabi, Mayor of KMC Abdoulie Conteh and other indicted officers.  Eighteen of the indicted officers were granted interim injunction by Justice Tahirr.

Following the granting of the interim injunction by the court, a local newspaper report did indicate that the state was irked by the decision of the indicted officers to challenge the findings of the commission in court and subsequently directed its security agents to arrest the indicted officers and urged them to come up with payment plans.

Abdul Fatah Othman who is also indicted by the Paul’s commission, decided to apply for an interim injunction pending the outcome of the substantive suit he filed in court challenging the findings of the anti corruption commission.

Allegations emerged on Thursday during the hearing of Abdul Fatah Othman’s application for an interim injunction.  It was alleged that the state is bent on seizing the properties of indicted officers.  However, Emmanuel Fagbenle who represented the state at the hearing informed the honourable court that he is not aware of any seizure of properties by the state and promised to make necessary inquiries.  Justice Izuako urged all the indicted officers to desist from disposing of any property which form the subject matter or may form subject matter of the adverse recommendations of the anti corruption commission.  Justice Izuako also urged the state to desist from seizing the properties or monies of the indicted officers whose cases are already in court waiting for determination.

VEHICLE MADE OUT OF WOOD AND WRECKAGE

By Samba Sanyang

Reported by Sana Saidykhan

Samba Sanyang, 22, and a native of Manjai Kunda has made a car out of the remains of old machines from the Bakoteh Dumpsite and plywood. In an exclusive interview with FOROYAA, he explained how he made the car and seeks help from anyone who can assist him pursue further studies. Here is the interview:

Q: What are your names?