GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:50:42 -0400
As some can tell by now, I hardly access my mail and send mail over the
weekend. I will send just a brief (Makaveli brief) one tonight and if need
be address some of these issues on Monday; although I hope it will not be
necessary. If I were to name a handful of people I admire and respect (not
just on G_L, but in general in this struggle) Saul Khan would be one of
them. I understand what Saul was saying. Me and Saul are NOT in disagreement
on the fundamentals. I agree with him entirely that credit should be given
where credit is due. One loses ones credibility if one does not give credit
where credit is due.
However, I want people to understnd one thing about my philisophy on
partisanship. My approach is best illustrated by paraphrasing James Carville
(the staunch Bill Clinton supporter) when he was asked about his role in the
post-clinton era when George Bush is at the White House and Carville's own
wife is working for Dick Cheney. Carville told the journalist that he
(Carville) will loudly criticize all the wrong things Bush does, and ignore
the right things the Republicans might do.
The fine line we walk is to try and be a true partisan, yet safeguard ones
credibility by not denying some very obvious successes of your opponents. It
is healthy for Saul to remind me about this fine line we have to walk. Let
us look at this matter as a 'tactics' issue. We are all on the same page on
the fundamentals. Like I said before, there are numerous ways to skin the
heads of these vermin. Once we agree on the fundamentals that we need to get
rid of Yaya, let us not pay undue attention on the tactics we use.
Saul, Hamjatta, Ansumana, George and Ebrima, we are all (firmly) on the same
boat. I will stick my neck out for Saul anytime and I know he will do the
same thing for me. This is about tactics.
KB