GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:16:53 -0500
From The Observer

Africa is grateful to President Jammeh

says Charles Sam

The President of African Hope International, Mr Charles Sam, has said that
President Jammeh’s call for national reconciliation and the proof of the
calls’ sincerity with an amnesty and the unconditional return of former
Gambian President Sir Dawda Jawara, has proven to the international
community that second generation African leadership is determined to carve
out a new image of the continent in a bid to push our nations forward.

In an exclusive interview with the Daily Observer, Mr Sam revealed that
President Jammeh has the potential to become a very unique and great African
statesman. This potential should be conciously harnessed by the president,
with the assistance of all Gambians. “ The president’s brief but precise
speech which was full of quality fodder (a real master-piece) , clearly
indicated traces of diligent, pragmatic statesmanship which he should be
encouraged to continue,” Mr Sam added. I am particularly impressed with the
show of support, solidarity and international image-boosting by West African
leadership heavy weights like President Obasanjo of Nigeria and President
John Kufuor of Ghana. President Kufuor has set a recent example by ensuring
that former President Jerry Rawlings was retired with all the privileges and
benefits befitting a former holder of the highest office of the land.
President Jammeh’s closer and personal relationships with some of these
leaders which also include President Thabo Mbeki of South Africa, would be
most beneficial to his leadership and the Gambian nation as a whole.

If The Gambia fails,West Africa can never achieve any form of union which
modern day success requires. Africa is one nation with one people and we
should encourage every move that brings us closer together under one
identity and towards one destiny”. “It is however time to carry out
President Jammeh’s call to forget the past, reconcile and move the nation
forward. Reconciliation requires patience, humility, trust, and respecting
the views of others. It also calls for concessions, compromise, dialogue and
negotiation.

Confidence building measures need to be put in place and the creation of
institutions that respect differences, taking into consideration the fact
that the respect of differences is a noble act of humanity. Peace is a
matter of agreement, not imposition. It is social justice. We need to create
an environment for all people to work together and put in place a moral
framework for values. A good neighbour is better than all the wealth of the
world. As President Jammeh said, ‘ we need to revisit our humanity.

On behalf of all Africans (especially the second generation) and the Jawara
family (especially Mr Sidi Alami, whose behind-the-scene handiwork is now
for the public eye), I wish to thank President Jammeh for this wise and very
popular gesture which makes us very proud of him and ourselves as Africans
too”. Asked how he felt now that his personal appeals to President Jammeh
for the return of former President Jawara in a Daily Observer lead story
“BUILD ON THE IMAGE OF OCTOBER 18” and Radio One FM’s “NEWS HOUR CURRENT
AFFAIRS PROGRAMME” respectively, have been heeded by the president, Mr Sam
humbly responded by saying “ I am very grateful to him and so is the whole
of Africa but all the credit goes to God and President Jammeh”.