GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou olly-mboge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 07:27:49 -0500
Thanks Ms Bojang-Sissoho,

You raised interesting questions concerning gender relations in our country.
  One think is very clear, Gambian society is a patriarchal one.  This
should be confronted head-on.  There are no short cuts to your rights.  Our
present regime epitomizes such a phenomenon. Tombong and others  are known
to have abused their wives hence the formers refusal of diplomatic status in
the United Kingdom.  As a media practitioner and an employee of GRTS, maybe
you can push your boss to take gender issues more seriously.  I know i am
asking too much because these morons will never let you do the right thing.
A good example is when the biggest moron with his fake "Imam" Fatty tried to
gag you on FGM debate few years ago.

The APRC are male chauvinist.  MANY of them abuse their wives.  Domestic
Violence is common in our society and very few are ready to admit it does
exist.  Domestic Violence comes in many different forms. Both physical and
psychological.

I think women like yourself, and Ndey Jobarteh and many others have already
and are still challenging these arcane perceptions that pervades our
society.  Traditions and cultural norms are very difficult to change but
change will certainly come for society has never been stagnant.

As you rightly mentioned too, it is high time female participation in our
body politics go beyond "Yaye Compine".  Women should take control of their
destinies and stand up against all form of repression.  I do not think the
liberation of our women should be left to male folk. Who feels it knows it.
I urge all our sisters to take the lead in the fight for the liberation of
our country from the APRC thugs.

Mboge