GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:57:42 +0100
Ous,

I think this sums up the debate on the African Interllectuals or shall i say
move it to a different dimension.  We cannot just sit down and say the
interllectuals are solely responsilbe for the situation in Africa. Every
African a what level is responsilbe to the situation in Africa and don't
forget it is not only the interllectuals who cast their votes.  We are all
custodians of our societies and what i liked more in your peice is the
analogy you give on the type of education we received. Maybe Saul and
Mambuna should have looked at what makes the interllectuals what they
believe them to be starting from themselves. Looking at the type of
education could be a good start

I  believe what made the debate with Saul out of touch was that he was using
too much rethorics he did not understand and was not willing to understand.
It is like when i heard an MP labelling the Gambian youths as lazy. I said
to myself i must talk to that guy and make sure I understand what he meant
by that. Of course after some confrontations we came to an agreement that,
it is not the case this is a rethoric used by the present regime without a
thorough understanding of the Gambian Youths.

I think it is even a crime to say that once one is in Europe or the West one
should shut up, I believe that is a weakness, it is also a lack of courage
to face up to criticism and challenging debate. It is also wrong to assumed
that everyone in the West is enjoying and happily living in the West. One
thing we have to look at also is how to get the interllectuals working
effectively inside and outside the country with a agenda to effect change at
home.

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh