GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:29:09 EDT
 Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah

 As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

 Revelation - 18th Muharram 1421 (24 April 2000)

 Narrated by Aisha (Radhiallaho anha):
 The commencement of the Divine Inspiration to Allah's Messenger
 (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) was in the form of good dreams
 which came true like bright daylight, and then the love of
 seclusion was bestowed upon him. He (sallallaahu 'alaihi
 wasallam) used to go in seclusion in the cave of Hira where
 he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) used to worship (Allah
 alone) continuously for many days before his desire to see his
 family. He used to take with him the journey food for the stay
 and then come back to (his wife) Khadija (Radhiallaho anha) to
 take his food likewise again till suddenly the Truth descended
 upon him while he was in the cave of Hira. The angel came to
 him (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) and asked him (sallallaahu
 'alaihi wasallam) to read. The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi
 wasallam) replied, "I do not know how to read."

 The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) added, "The angel
 caught me (forcefully) and pressed me so hard that I could not
 bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to
 read and I replied, 'I do not know how to read.' Thereupon he
 caught me again and pressed me a second time till I could not
 bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to
 read but again I replied, 'I do not know how to read (or what
 shall I read)?' Thereupon he caught me for the third time and
 pressed me, and then released me and said, 'Read in the name
 of your Lord, who has created (all that exists) has created
 man from a clot. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous."
 (Surah Al-Alaq : Ver. 1-3).  Then Allah's Messenger
 (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) returned with the Inspiration
 and with his heart beating severely. Then he went to his wife
 Khadija bint Khuwailid and said, "Cover me! Cover me!" They
 covered him till his fear was over and after that he told her
 everything that had happened and said, "I fear that something
 may happen to me." Khadija replied, "Never! By Allah, Allah
 will never disgrace you. You keep good relations with your
 kith and kin, help the poor and the destitute, serve your
 guests generously and assist the deserving calamity-afflicted
 ones."

 Khadija then accompanied him to her cousin Waraqa bin Naufal
 bin Asad bin 'Abdul 'Uzza, who, during the Pre-Islamic Period
 became a Christian and used to write the writing with Hebrew
 letters. He would write from the Gospel in Hebrew as much as
 Allah wished him to write. He was an old man and had lost his
 eyesight. Khadija said to Waraqa, "Listen to the story of your
 nephew, O my cousin!" Waraqa asked, "O my nephew! What have
 you seen?" Allah's Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam)
 described whatever he had seen. Waraqa said, "This is the same
 one who keeps the secrets (angel Gabriel) whom Allah had sent
 to Moses. I wish I were young and could live up to the time
 when your people would turn you out." Allah's Messenger
 (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) asked, "Will they drive me
 out?" Waraqa replied in the affirmative and said, "Anyone
 (man) who came with something similar to what you have brought
 was treated with hostility; and if I should remain alive till
 the day when you will be turned out then I would support you
 strongly." But after a few days Waraqa died and the Divine
 Inspiration was also paused for a while.

 Jabir bin 'Abdullah Al-Ansari narrated while talking about the
 period of pause in revelation reporting the speech of the
 Prophet "While I was walking, all of a sudden I heard a voice
 from the sky. I looked up and saw the same angel who had
 visited me at the cave of Hira sitting on a chair between the
 sky and the earth. I got afraid of him and came back home and
 said, 'Wrap me (in blankets).' And then Allah revealed the
 following Holy Verses (of Quran):

 'O you (i.e. Muhammad)! wrapped up in garments! Arise and warn
 (the people against Allah's Punishment),...' up to 'and desert
 the idols.' (Surah Muddaththir : Ver. 1-5).  After this the
 revelation started coming strongly, frequently and regularly."

 Bukhari    Vol. 1 : No. 3