GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harona S Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:24:23 -0500
Moses: Perhaps you are right, your liking or disliking Jammeh has little or
nothing at all to do with your current position on the APRC. Rather it is to
do with the presidency. My apologies for personalizing. You should have gone
ahead with your list an eight- year-old could have written.

Many of the petitions has to do with:
          1. The Dumo Sahor arrest and detention without trial.
          2. April 10-11 massacre
          3. The beatings, torture and unwarranted arrests .
          4. The death of Koro Ceesay(Killing)
          5. The Nov-11,94 incident(Lt Barrow Coup)
          6. The death of lt Almamo, and arrests of Lalo Jaiteh etc
          7. The alleged mismanagement of public funds.
          8. Sana Sabally and Late Sadibou Hydara imprisonment.

Maybe your list could have had more. Anyway, these are some of the petitions
and allegations of the AFPRC/APRC Government.

If you had signed any of these petitions, your signature signifies your
disapproval of such acts. And if so, you agree the students have a right to
demonstrate peacefully and not be hampered by any obstacles, much more life
bullets being used on them: You agree that, if infact, Dumo is guilty of any
crime, he ought to be brought before a court of law and be judged
accordingly: You agree that, the culprits of the Koro( killing) be brought
to book: You have disapproved all the above and more.

Mr Sarr, all this is saying to me, is how strongly you believe in democracy
and its workings. With democracy comes divergence of opinions and interests.
If everyone were to agree on everything, there will be no need for different
political parties, hence different opinions and approaches to the issue of
governance. As a "seasoned democrat" you ought to respect all opinions,
while you retain the right to accept or reject such opinions.

In conclusion, if you disagree with all the above instances, you are in
essence saying, there ought to be better a way of leading the people of the
Gambia, that Jammeh ought to be more receptive of criticisms. If so, so you
should be!
Have a good one.
Harona.

s Sarr <[log in to unmask]>