GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:40:16 EST
In a message dated 1/16/2002 9:41:35 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Jabou,
>
> Will they even have that in their plans, when the main hospitals  are of no
> use to Gambians. The issue is not aboutbuilding hospital buildings but
> sustaining,maintain and providing for the exisiting  structures. You cannot
> be building hospitals when existing ones are just empty buildings were
> Gambians will go and spend their last moment and conduct their last prayers
> on earth. If these people are seriously thinking of  population's health
> they know exactly what to do. Why would they send their wives to go and
> give birth in Europe/America if the health sector is "functioning" as they
> potray or wants people to belief.

Ndey Jobarteh,

I have missed seing you on the list.
This is exactly true and it is what I always call the art of "producing a few
strategically placed shiny new buildings to mesmerize the easily impressed"
and never mind the reality. Indeed, unless somone has bought new furniture,
mattresses and some bed sheets for RVH lately , patients have to bring their
own sheets ( personal experience when a realtive was admitted there) and the
mattresses i saw there were patched with tape all over. The rusty iron beds
and bed side tables are from the colonial era. Has any of this changed? The
pharmacies were also practically empty. I accompanied this relative when she
was admitted, and we actually stood ariund waiting for the bed to be made.
Nasty surprise when we were told that the patirnts have to supply their own
sheets. I almost fell over when i heard that one.

Yep, according to reports posted on this list,  Zainab Jammeh flies all the
way to the U.S to have simple pediatric check-ups for her baby several times
a year when all these wonderful gifts are being pout in place for the people.
Surely those great Cuban doctors should be enough.
It is very much  the politics of "window dressing" but it seems to work on a
lot of people amazingly enough. Campama thoug his a disgrace.

Jabou Joh