GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yahya Darboe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:18:19 -0500
1a, Rene Blain Street, Banjul, The Gambia

Phone: (220) 201730 / 227442 Fax: (220)224601

Http://www.udggambia.org Email : [log in to unmask]

November 7, 2001

THE GAMBIANS IN THE DIASPORA
ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF SUPPORT

The Presidential Candidate and the entire Executive Committee of the
UDP/PPP/GPP Coalition wish to thank Gambians in the Diaspora for the
tremendous and unflinching financial, material and moral support given to
the Coalition before, during and after the October 2001 Presidential
Elections. Your wonderful and determined support and commitment for the
restoration and re-enforcement of democracy, human rights and the rule of
law has immensely helped us in our campaign to unseat a dictator. With the
limited resources at our disposal, the Coalition fought a difficult but
well-organized campaign against a sitting dictator who had myriads of
resources at his disposal. Nonetheless, the Gambian people have
demonstrated through the polls that they are longing for a change in the
government and management of the country’s affairs. The massive Gambian
vote given to the Coalition Presidential Candidate is a clear testimony of
committed and sincere support for our Presidential Candidate without the
use of money, material inducement and threats of force.

We on the ground are not discouraged by the end result of loosing, our
struggle is not just for leadership but for a good cause which is more
valid today after the elections than it was before the polls. Our party
supporters and sympathizers are still languishing in the cells of the NIA
and the Police Stations around the country without bail or charge. The
system of governance from the Police to the judiciary has failed to
protect innocent Gambians from the machinations of dictator Yaya Jammeh
and his APRC Youth Wing. Gambians cannot fold their hands and just be on-
lookers in their own homeland whilst atrocities and terror is unleashed on
innocent civilians. The situation is therefore imperative for the UDP
Coalition to continue its struggle for Justice, Peace and Progress.

Once again, please accept our sincere and heartfelt gratitude for all that
was done for a very good cause and we hope you will continue with the same
spirit and vigour that you have displayed in the past. God bless The
Gambia.

UDP/PPP/GPP COALITION SECRETARIAT

BANJUL, THE GAMBIA

Justice    Peace     Progress