GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:57:32 GMT
Omar,

This is a wonderful program, and we really need more of it. One advice
though: Keep POLITICIANS out of it. Look for ordinary Gambians who aren't
affiliated with ANY party. That way, you'll side step any mine fields out
there. Otherwise, this mayor's involvement, as well-intentioned as it may
be, could come back to bite y'all in the wrong place. So let this Faal guy
go! In my view, perception is very important in any NGO/philantropic
venture. And maximum civic involvement/goodwill is of the essence. Given
that, I find it totally incredible that people fail to see the contradiction
in wanting to bring a community together, yet involving people who are sure
to turn off a large segment of the population. Even if APRC is a popular
party (we all know it's not!,) don't you think that a symbol of that party
like the mayor of Banjul, will cause a significant segment of the population
to view your organization as suspect at best? Just an early morning
thought...

Saul.