GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 01:12:21 +0100
Aji,

I think the Imam need to understand that trying to control ones body as you
rightly stated has been in Africa for ages and that has nothing to do with
Western World. To even called it Western is an insult,. Why is it that every
goodthing  that we do is called Western. I bet the colonial control of the
minds is still deep in us that all the good things we know is called
Western. Let the Imam do his job as an Iman and leave the politics to the
politicians, leave the women to the women activist and he will get the
respect he deserves. We no longer allow any one to speak for us, we speak
for our selves, express our concerns and find solutions to our own problems.
I believe he will do the Women a very good favour if he just preaches what
he knows and not things he does not know.  At the same time be truthful to
the religion he is preaching as well.

Family planning is not about wome prostituting their bodies the Iman forget
that prostitution is involves both women and men. Women don't prostitute
themselves but together with the men. ANd i would have been very glad if he
also address the men who use them too. You don't need family planning for
prostitution to expand. He would have also do us a great favour if he
address the root cause of prostitution and social disorder and stop denying
the fact. Or I forget he would not know that cause he belong to a certain
class and priviledge. Is that what Religion means to him?

Aji, you are right to say that our grand parents/parents has being using
family planning in their own ways. They even use to use certain herbs to
protect themselves from pregnancies. As well as the spacing you've
mentioned.  It is important for Imam Fatty to understand that what he is
calling Western is actually not Western is part and parcel of our tradition
and culture. He should do a little bit of reading and research before making
fun of himself in public.

Those days are gone when we engaged in a  discourse with gutter-press
rhetoric or even religious hypocrits. We will no longer engaged in
discussions where our personal experiences are turned into vicious missiles
against our person, but  where our lived experience as human beings striving
to make this a better life are treated with respect and considered important
elements of our collective social knowledged.

People like Imam Fatty just engaged in  chauvinistic ranting and raving that
are inspired by fear and ignorance. Imam Fatty and Co who cannot stand
"independent minded women" are just wasting their time ravings. The facts
speak for themselves, and delusions about banishing women activist or
feminist and keeping/returning all Gambian women to the status of perpetual
oppression simply will not happen. The best Imam Fatty can do is wake up and
smell the coffee, because as we enter the 21st century, men like him will
become like the dinosaur, doomed to extinction.

Excellence is only possible when one has choices, to do what one is best at.
Women cannot be"good" mothers if mothering is compulsory, mostly pain,
fatigue, anger and deprivation with few moments of joy now and then.
Motherhood is a life long relationship one that binds someone to another in
a way that no other relationship ever could. A woman can divorce a partner,
but she cannot divorce someone she has birthed. It is that basic. Why then
should women not choose how and when or whether to have this kind of
relationship with someone?
When it made as a choice, such a relationship can be beautiful, fulfilling
and whoelsome is the stuff that human society is made off. But when it is
something that women are forced into, treated as an obligation that women
must fulfilled often without dignity and joy, then women resist.

Family planning is not about morality is about control of ones body and
sexuality. It is not about Western ideology is about reclaiming our bodies
as women, as human beings, as citizens. It is about rights and choices that
only women must make and can make. And although some of us live with men in
one way or  another, the right to reproductive choice is a woman's right,
and nobody could ever be more qualified to make that choice.

The STruggle Continues!!!1
Ndey Jobarteh