GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 07:55:03 PDT
Dear Katim,

It seems that most of the names of those involved with "free Gambia"are all
living in the USA,to avoid making it a USA thing we should start thinking of
people from other places who are prepared to take responsibility and since the
G-L is practically bases in the US,this coming web mail should be manage from
somewhere else and by people with reliable contacts in the Gambia and
organizational experience.I believed there is an amount of technical resources
in places like Norway (having in mind brother Kabir and Omar Drammeh)to
coordinate this project .Secondly the issue of the name should be revisited.I
am having in mind "For a Democratic Gambia" or "sopeeku-Bi" .

For Freedom

Saiks

>       MIME Type: multipart/alternative
Hi folks,

I'm writing to suggest an overall structure for the planned Free Gambia Web
site.  Given that there's still a lot more work that needs to be done in
regards the formation of an umbrella organization, I suggest we use "Free
Gambia" as a title for the Web site, rather than a name of an organization.
In the event, hopefully, that the Web site becomes a semblance of the umbrella
organization we are all working toward, we can then formally adopt the name of
the Web site as that of the organization when it's formed.

I've discussed the Free Gambia site at different times with a number of
people, and below is a draft of the basic structure I would suggest for it.
For your information, I was planning to send this e-mail only those that are,
as of now, involved with hashing out details of creating the site, but I
decided to forward it to Gambia-L instead because it will help if we get
feedback before we put pen to paper, fingers to keyboard.  Please take a look
at the draft I'm sending below, and tell us how we can make the Web site
better.

DRAFT FREE GAMBIA SITE STRUCTURE

1.  Homepage
    a) "Free Gambia" logo and/or stylized text that will serve as the site's
official graphical identity.
    b) Brief introduction to the site,
    c) Links to other sections (shown below) of the Web site, and external
resources of interest to visitors

2. Purpose of the Free Gambia site
    a) A response to the April 10 and 11 killings in the Gambia
    b) A start toward the formation of an umbrella Gambian organization aimed
at fostering democracy and human rights in The Gambia
    c) A clearing house for information about, and a directory of Gambian
organizations around the world

3.  Projects
    a) Response to the April 2000 Killings in The Gambia (news,
demonstrations, meetings, etc.)
    b) A Peaceful End to the Jammeh Government

4. Web Tools
    a) Directory of Gambian Organizations
    b) Global Gambian Community Calendar
    c) Discussion Board
    d) Chat
    e) Mailing Lists
    f) Surveys and Polls

5. Links to External Resources
    a) Gambia-related
    b) Africa-related
    c) Human Rights and Democracy Resources

6. FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
    a) Answers to FAQs
    b) Ask a question

7. How to Help
    a) Helping the Free Gambia Web site
    b) Gambian Organizations needing help
    c) Individuals needing help

9. Contact Us
    a) Phone/fax
    b) e-mail
    c) Regular or "snail" mail

10. The Culprits
    "Guilty as charged", the people that helped put this together

I mentioned that I have spoken to a few people about the site, and for your
information, Dr. Amadou Janneh has registered the freegambia.org and
freegambia.com domains for us, George Sarr (of http://www.gambiansonline.com)
has offered to help with graphics, design and programming work, Latjor Ndow
has also agreed to help with some Web work, and I'll be helping anyway I can.
Other people who have offered to help include, off the top of my head, Jabou
Joh, Karamba Touray, Saul Khan, and Bakary Sonko.  We will be focusing on
getting the site up, and later invite people to send in articles for inclusion
in the site. You can, by the way contact us at the following addresses:

    Dr. Amadou Janneh ([log in to unmask])
    Latjor Ndow ([log in to unmask])
    George Sarr ([log in to unmask])
    Katim S. Touray ([log in to unmask])

As always, keep the ideas coming.  If anything, they go to show that we have a
pool of talent that just needs to be tapped and harnessed to make The Gambia
better.  Have a great weekend, and best wishes.

Katim