GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:56:36 +0000
I wanted to forward this article since last week but delayed it hoping that
its online version would soon be available, thus saving me time and energy
typing it. Unfortunately, it did not happen. I am therefore re-typing it for
all to read.

From the recent policies of the government, I won’t be surprised if we end
up with one of the very best health care delivery set-ups in Africa. I hope
people will now stop this nonsense that our hospitals have no equipment,
Doctors or medicines.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve.    -Mike- Levitt-

US-BASED ORGANISATION PROVIDES US $1 MILLION WORTH OF MEDICAL EQUIPMENT

Reliance Health Systems of New Jersey, USA, has donated to The Gambia US $1
million worth of medical equipment and materials, which were presented to
President Yahya Jammeh on Wednesday at Statehouse.

The UNDP office in Banjul was reportedly involved in facilitating the
provision of medical supplies, and the presentation ceremony was attended by
the UNDP resident representative Dr. John Kakonge and WHO officials in
Banjul.

Some of the equipment received are said to be highly sophisticated machines
needed in our health facilities. They include motorised beds and mattresses,
blood pressure stands, a treadmill with monitor, EKG machines,
nebuliser-asthmatic drug dispensers, a breathing therapy machine,
defriburator – heart regulating machine, a dialysis machine, infusion pumps
and automatic bynamaps.

Speaking at the presentation ceremony, Dr. John Regis from the American
donors, said they have read about, and were impressed by the President’s
vision of promoting health care, infrastructural development, agriculture
and education in The Gambia. His organization is ready to assist The Gambia
government in the health sector, he said, and promised that more equipment
is on the way, adding that technical training will be provided for Gambians
to mount the machines.

Dr. Regis further informed the President that they are working closely with
the local WHO office to train Gambians how to operate the equipment.

The UN resident co-ordinator in The Gambia, John Kakonge, informed president
Jammeh that they are expecting additional equipment, including drugs.

HEALTH, A PRIORITY

President Jammeh thanked Dr. Regis and his associates and all those who
contributed in making the gesture possible, especially the UN country
representative who facilitated it.

The provision of the equipment is in line with vision 2020 development
blueprint, the President went on, and that health is his government’s number
one priority sector, being one of the principal pillars deemed dispensable
in achieving national socio-economic development, the others being
agriculture and education.

He assured the American donors that the equipment will be useful to Gambians
and non-Gambians alike since, looking at our health institutions, most of
the major hospitals are located close to the border, and our health
statistics show between 30 and 40percent of the patients seen are from
neighbouring countries.

The president also informed Dr. Regis that the Jammeh Foundation for peace
is always receiving requests for assistance for overseas treatment, because
some illnesses could not be treated at the RVH in Banjul.

So the new machines received will ensure referrals for overseas treatment
could be restricted to critical cases for which the facilities are not
available in the country. The president requested that the Americans train
the Gambian technicians to operate the machines.

BWIAM HOSPITAL

The Secretary of State for Health, Dr. Yankuba Gassama, informed the
President and Dr. Regis that most of the equipment provided will be sent to
straight to the Bwiam hospital, while some of the sophisticated machines
would be installed at the RVH .

He assured Dr. Regis and his team that the equipment will be put to good
use, and asked that the team’s technicians train Gambians to use the
equipment. It is good that Dr. Regis is in the country to see for himself
our facilities so that when he goes back, he will know the type of help he
can galvanise for The Gambia in the US, the health minister said.

Dr. Regis accompanied by the Health Secretary visited the Bwiam Hospital,
which starts operating from Saturday, having earlier on travelled to the
Soma major health centre. On Friday, he visits the Brikama major health
centre. In a related development, President Jammeh the same day presented a
brand new mobile X-ray machine to the SOS for Health announcing that it was
donated by some philanthropists.