GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:21:51 PDT
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure whether or not to respond to this posting. I accept that it is
possible that I lack 'common sense' and 'simple understanding'. I certainly
will not use these terms against Saiks because I believe he has them
aplenty.(no pun intended) But that is not the point.

I believe I have demonstrated on many occasions how proud I am of our
African heritage, both on the List and elsewhere. At a Commonwealth
Conference that I attended last year(10-12 July) on the theme, 'Values in
Commnonwealth Education', I was, to use their term 'grilled' by eminent
intellectuals and academics (all of them 'white') about my African heritage.
Questions were fired at me from different directions. I was even asked about
the 'Hassan' I have as my middle name. One African, Emmanuel, who works as a
Programmme Officer at the Secretariat(Sam Njie should him), was present.
People are free to ask him. I don't have one set of views for the L and
another for another audience. With  me, people know exactly where I stand.

In his posting, Saiks says that I lack 'the simple understanding that we as
Africans have an experience with religion,whether this is Islam or
Christianity'. Let me just say that I have taught and written on the subject
for many years.

Also, Saiks mentions Christianity and Jesus's race. I am not going into what
the churches in Latin America should or should not do. I leave that to the
Liberation Theologists. Suffice to say that Jesus was a Jew. His pictures
and portraits are found in almost all churches. This is not the case in
Islam. There is not a single picture or portrait of the Prophet in any
mosque. and there is no suggestion, directly or otherwise, that he could be
God incarnate. So the question of seeing a 'black' face, a 'pink' face or a
'yellow' face all the time does not arise. This argument is therefore
irrelevant here. Saiks is entitled to his views about Farakhan. I posted his
website yesterday to ease the tension a bit. When I entered 'momodou' it
gave me names like 'hunky bear' and other similarly unsuitable ones. I hope
people did not think I was serious. But, like everyone else, including
Saiks, Farakhan is also entitled to his views. Like everyone else also, I
believe he is not perfect. I think these are the main points raised. If I
have not addressed any, please draw my attention to it.

In conclusion, I cannot remember saying what Saiks is suggesting I have
said, namely, 'This is why you can have people like Momodou Njie who will
tell you
>that you have to think first as a Muslim and then as a Gambian or that it
>is
>of no importance to have an Arabic name instead of a Gambian name.'
Where did I say this? Cheers.

Momodou