GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:23:21 -0400
It is with the utmost dismay that I and others have seen our beloved Gambia-L dominated by a barrage of insults, allegations and counter allegations.  My concern is that we are getting side tracked from what really matters, the brutal regime's killing of unarmed infants.

A long time ago our colonizers, the British particularly, had a policy called divide and conquer.  The goal of this policy was to make our forefathers weaker by dividing us into tribes and class groups.  If one looks at the make up of Africa today, that policy is apparent.  Even Yahya Jammeh has used the tribalist and class card in his numerous misguided sermons on Gambian TV.  For example, he labelled the hard working residents of Fajara  as thieves.  Tombong, Malafy and the numerous sympathisers of this regime are attempting to use the same ploy and have succeeded in temporarily detracting us from our main goals: Voicing our dissatisfaction about  the regime and the slow arduous task  of  removing this government from the seat of power.

Even though most of us have our firm disagreements with Tombong and Co, we have to be ready to deal with these people objectively.  We cannot afford to hurl insults at them from the relative safety of our computer rooms, nor can we use smear tactics against any of them.  After all, what purpose does demaning any human being serve?  It is a zero sum game that no one wins.   The end result is that feelings get hurt and things that really don't matter become part of the big picture.

It is my genuine hope that we will forget this regrettable period and continue our task of addressing ways of avoiding the quagmire that our country is embroiled in.  Let us all focus and beat the colloborators at their own game.  By using our brains.