GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdou karim sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:50:55 +0000
Sakiina Smith Haaruun a mental health practitioner who is currently
managing the first mental home for black women in Birmingham England
called Harriet Turman House describe patients in Campana psychiatric
unit as the forgotten citizens of the Gambia. In an encounter with the
author, Sakiina Smith Haaruun stated that as a mental health
practitioner which ever country she visited, her interest continues to
be for the development of quality mental health services, for people who
are experiencing severe and enduring mental ill health here produce to
the readership her frank opinion on the state of mental health in the
Gambia. I am aware she continues that in developing countries, systems
are not always in place, however, I was totally traumatize when I
visited the Campana mental health hospital. In my mind, I knew that the
hospital will not be set or being managed in the ways and conditions I
am used to working in Birmingham, but no way was I prepared for what I
encountered. On approach to the hospital with my colleague, I requested
to meet with the Medical Director for the purpose of sharing ideas and
development for the care of mental ill.Shortly after a man in a white
gown approached us and escort us to his office: at this point I need to
explain to you the layout of this office. It consisted of an old
battered table, one broken down chair, battered filing cabinet and a
cupboard, I belief for storing medication. I introduced myself stating
my professional background and the purpose of my visit. I explained my
present project development which is the first mental home in
Birmingham, England. I was informed by the nurse that the hospital have
the capacity to cater for 50 but as the only mental hospital in the
Gambia, there was a total number of 109 patients which was over 100
percent excess of its maximum intake. I could not imagine how this could
be possible with sleeping arrangements and other therapeutic activities.
I lost for words when the nurse told me there was no consultant
psychiatrist, no Doctors/ General Practitioner attached to work with the
team at the hospital, and that the overall management was done by 3
nurses with a handful of nursing aids.
I felt that I did not want to hear anymore neither did I want to see
what the wards looks like, but my curiosity won over. As I walked along
the corridor I knew, I should not go any further but I continued. It's
really difficult to explain to the media what I actually encountered
with my own eyes. The picture of degradation, dehumanization,
unhealthiness and overcrowding is imprinted my mind and this is
something that I will never forget. There are dormitories that supposed
to have the capacity of 8 individuals which is double to 16 individuals.
The bedding and linens were dirty and scanty. Dressing and bandages were
filthy. People in general were just contained behind the walls away from
the society/ communities on the whole.
The fact that there is no structure, no policy frame work and no mental
health act for the present day care is not surprising as mental illness
is a taboo amongst black people irrespective of where they are living.
The Gambia is certainly an example of how much fear there is around the
area of mental illness.
My starting point for caring for those with mental illness is 'there for
the grace of God go I' and in the eventuality of an individual
developing mental illness, the question is how would I like to be cared
for and in what environment would I like to be nursed. The fact that
someone is experiencing major disturbance, confusion, distress, anxiety,
frustration and depression is compounded by unhealthy overcrowding
environment. By this I mean if Iam experiencing any of the above illness
I would want to be in an nurturing, caring, healthy, therapeutic
environment/ community.
I am not for one minute saying the nurses are not caring and nurturing
individuals but the lack resources inhibits their skills and ability to
effectively care for the people. I wholeheartedly commend their
continuous effort to manage in such disheartening conditions. I have
been working in the mental health system since 1971 and I see myself as
an effective care/ manager but must say I could not and would not work
under such conditions, so once again maximum respect to 3 nurses who are
working flat out to manage mental health patients of the Gambian
population.
Mental illness is worldwide. We should not be afraid to recognize that
this can happen to us at any given time. The stresses of life is such
that without care and support this area of nursing will continue to
rise. The statistics in medical science shows that one in four
individual within any given population will experience some form of
mental illness in their lives: therefore this is not to be swept away.
The reality is that this is not going away it is already prevalent and
it's numbers will rise, and it is going to stay.