GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"B. Sillah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 12:25:47 -0400
I also want to extend my gratitude to the organizers of the symposium. James
and Lat, you will realize that its the hardest thing to accomplish in
pleasing our people. I thought you did extremely well with what you had to
work with. Keep your heads up and continue giving it your best.

On the syposium itself, I missed Hon. Joof's walkout; but indications were
that it was unceremoniously done. I still believe he should have stayed and
dealt with it...he took the cheap way out.

On Hamat Bah, he is exactly what you read in the papers. He came across as a
very straight shooter, calls it as it is. He will not hesitate to criticize
the government at any point but he lacks something and I'm not sure if I
would be fair if I call that something trust. He seems to be the type that
may strike a deal with anybody at the demise of anybody, but I still think I
can vote for him, he's convince me that much. Even though he assured us that
he'll retain his Upper Saloum seat next year, I wasn't too convinced. I
think if the APRC is going full force after any three seats it will be his,
Sidia's and Kemeseng's. I honestly don't think he's a presidential material
and this is my humble opinion only, but again what is the litmus test for
the Gambian Presidency if any???

Of Halifa, he was a masterpiece. He's analysis was notches above everyone
else's. Arguments based on facts are hard to debunk, he used real numbers to
make his case. In any measuring terms, he was the clear winner of the debate
I was listening to. His demeanor, his voice, his eye contacts and overall
body language was second to none. He came across very trustworthy and
principled. On every issue, he first talked about the problem, then offered
tangible solutions...he came with a plan unlike everyone else. Can I vote
for him? Yes, without hesitation! Is he a presidential material? Without a
single thread of doubt he is. Is he electable? I'm not sure and it worries
me. One outstanding issue I disagree with Halifa is his reservations on a
"private-sector" led growth.

On Mr. Tombong Jatta, the honorable member of SerreKunda East, he just
wasn't prepared and I don't think Secretary Joof's walkout served him any
justice. He found himself in an unfamiliar territory and took more notes
than any of the panelist and still was very in-effective in putting his
points accross. It was going to be hard for any other speaker to speak after
Halifa that day and that was the order it happened. I felt sorry for Mr.
Jatta because I think he was done a huge injustice for being sent to DC to
defend the APRC in such an awkward fashion and to add salt to injury the
audience weren't very kind to him at all, but he brought that to himself by
frustrating the audience due to his inabilty to authenticate his position.
He never connected with the audience and I didn't think because he is an
APRC but simply because he just couldn't. He wasn't the salesman Hamat or
Halifa was.

Overall, it was a great opportunity to listen to these people and it was
well cherished. The biggest winners were the people and the biggest loosers
were Ousainou Darboe and the UDP. Atleast, I know the grade I gave to the
three speakers I listened to but for UDP it's a BIG INCOMPLETE and I'm not
sure they have time to make up for it.

Good Day,
Baboucarr Sillah