GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ams Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:42:39 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The question you asked about what will happen if yahya Jammeh drops
> tomorrow and passes-away? Who will take care of the APRC? The party may die
> but the Government will function according to the constitution of the
> Republic of the Gambia. As you may know most of political parties in this
> country are one man show, that is the leader only, if the leader is not
> there the party becomes dyfunctional or paralyse, this is what is going to
> happen to our party pretty soon.

---
I concur from your last paragraph that, you an APRC buff hence the concerned
of a political vacuum or APRC disintegration [pretty soon. My question is, or
put yourself in the shoe of Yahya Jammeh or a political adviser: What steps
or plan of action need to be taken to counter this cancerous element?
-What if, Jawara rightly or justly, decides to demand a lifting on the ban on
PPP and  that of his presidency? Afghanistan is faced with the same quagmire
between the interim leader and the ex-king, two camps of thought.
-How does APRC  top gunners plan to deal with the unstoppable support and
rise of Independent candidates into political office?
-Granted that, the Constitution calls for the VP taking charge in the event
of death or incapacity of the President, You and I know that, the current VP,
Isatou Njie Saidy, is not and cannot carry the mantle of leadership in the
presence of the army boys [Yankuba,  Edward and Jatta's faith hanging on a
thread] or the absence of support from APRC cadres. During the last
days/years of Jawara, the infighting and power play between Saihou Sabally
and Bakary Darboe was fun for Jawara, just to remain dominant and
unchallenged, hence the dumb but favorite quotation: "SU JAWARA DEMEH, KUI
JAILL NGUUR GI" translating to: If Jawara leaves, who could or will handle
the Presidency?  The foolish question was unfortunately answered on July 22,
1994. My question then is, who is being groomed, or can/will fill in the
vacuum created by Jammeh and AFPRC/APRC?
An inquiring mind wants to know?
Ams