GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:22:50 EDT
Folks, why Africans feel insecure and extremely gutless when it comes to
meaningful transformation in the continent? I tell everybody what-- an OAU
summit of this magnitude cannot offer anything else to its people but a
glimpse of redemption, a reform which will make Africa glitter than its
present gold and diamond reserves, a reform that will fortify the edifice of
our progress and serve as an everlasting barricade to those creed of people
who have the power and the audacity to exploit us for their own national
benefits only because we are weak, disintegrated and lack common vision. It
is absolutely OK to be a pessimist in whatever form and I do respect your
opinions but isn't wise to face the challenges of our beloved continent just
for the sake of human development. Are you telling me that there is no
solution to our problems?There is no good patrothic Africans? Oh God, this is
rueful.

If we take America as an example, the North and the South has fought before
the union in what was considered to be one of the world's worst civil war but
they are now UNITED and PROSPEROUS. Although my knowledge in African history
is limited, I don't think there has been any civil war that involves the
whole African continent. Therefore it is my fervent conviction that there is
no big animosity between most African States. After all, you don't need all
the countries to start United State of Africa--- Even 6 is find to state with
and they don't necessarily have to share borders. United State of America
states with less than 10 states.

Its kind of funny when I heard people saying that we don't have the right
caliber of leaders for this worthy course. No matter how they come to power,
whether a Sidat Senghore (Senegal), Chalse Taylor (Liberia), Babagida
(Nigeria) or an Edi Amin (Uganda) type, they are there for the people. If
African people wants Unity there presidents should follow suit and as
desired. We don't care where the idea come from. The dreams of Nkruman cannot
come to reality because of these sluggish credulous believes. We should have
been united now if 1960s principles were followed seriously. Tell me now,
when will be the time of 'good' leaders?

Africans, don't sit down and think God will come from the sky and unite you.
H e gives you the wisdom and strength to do it. I am sure we can overcome
most of the obstacles, i am sure we can make it - we are physically and
mentally. I am sure we will make it .
Thanx

LAMIN PF MANNEH