GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 18:06:13 +0200
Monsieur L'ambassadeur Oko D,

It is a pleasure to see you take the lead in addressing this very
important matter, and I concur with your clinical observations. For years
I have myself discussed with friends the complete absence of a cultural
journal worthy of the name in Gambia; a magazine where "Gambian" ideas
are presented, analysed and embraced or debunked. Gambian newspapers are
doing a really good job in providing columns for debate, but it is easy
to see that there are obvious shortcomings, especially because there is
simply no continuous and rigorous representation of contemporary Gambian
thought on all aspects of Gambian existence. Here there is need indeed of
debating the very existence of a potentially powerful medium such as GRTS
as a public service institution. What should we see on Gambian TV, who
should control it, how should it be financed? , etc. What becomes of the
intellectual life of Gambian graduates and post-graduates in the arts and
social sciences once they return home? The university of the Gambia may
provide a conduit for the intellectual energies of a few, but it seems to
me that the vast majority withers away slowly for lack of social and
cultural stimulants...or perhaps many disappear into that corruptive
current of survival, cruising the bars by night fall and becoming
gradually soaked and spongy in the "attaya vous" circuit. In fact where
do all Gambian graduates disappear into nowadays? Or is it perhaps that I
am myslef lost in the diaspora, posing irrelevant questions to
compatriots who are by all standards fitting their straw to the stack?
Perhaps it is time we create (a) representational voice(s) of our own
because the current political order is not going to provide one for us.
But looking at it seriously, the Gambian state itself is withering away,
its squeaky edifice only held together by brute force, both of economics
and physical coercion.

I just watched a video on Jaliba Kuyateh and the Kumareh Band launching
their tenth album. Part of the cream of Gambia's political and business
elite were all there with all the "ajratou" and "diriangkeh" worthy of
their salt pinning Jaliba's shirt with half the nation's GDP in
banknotes. Someone said that it was after that extraordinary extravaganza
that Operation No Compromise was launched, and of course Baba Jobe was
there. When the Gambian world looks like it does now, you cannot help
asking what we really are after watching that show.

Many, many thanks Brother Oko.

Sidibeh.