GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:47:48 -0500
Hello, Kabir, what do you mean by the following statement?

But it seems you and those of your school cannot make the distinction,
and thus your dilemma!

     For one thing, I do not confuse Arab with Islam.  And in fact, it
was, in fact, Moore who brought up the Arab / Islam thing when he
mentioned that he had spent time in Egypt and around Muslims.  I can't
remember his exact quote, and I don't feel like going back and digging
it out of my archives.  But he did mention the Muslimness of both the
Arabs in Egypt, and the Arabs who controlled Spain.

     Also, this insinuation that "I wear my religion on my sleeve",
and that somehow because of that I think I'm better than other people,
and that I think I'm more Muslim than others because of that, is
totally wrong on your part!  And I can't believe you are comparing me
to Jammeh!  I never thought in a million years that I'd be compared to
Yahya Jammeh, that is a new one for me!  I'm still trying to figure
that one out!  I didn't know that just because I wear hijab, that I'd
be compared to someone who has killed innocent people, who has ruined
The Gambia, etc.  But I guess a hijabi Muslim = terrorist so maybe
that is where the similarity lies?  My choice to wear hijab is not
because I want to show off in front of other people, or make myself
out to be better than others, or anything like that.  But if you want
to assume that about me than go right ahead!

     I could sit here and explain why I've made the choices I've made,
and why I dress the way I do, but then that would be defending myself,
wouldn't it?

     Why should I have to defend myself and my choices for someone who
has already assumed that for me, to be Muslim means to be Arab?  And
it's funny that this has been brought up because I've actually blogged
about this before, on how there are some people who seem to think that
to be Muslim, they have to adopt the culture of the Muslims they
happen to have the most contact with, whether it be Arab, Pakistani,
or whatever.  And what I have said in the past, on this subject, is
that to be a Muslim doesn't have to mean that you are an Arab.

     As far as my defensiveness goes, that would take a whole other
message to explain that.  But I would say that converts to Islam do
have to defend themselves, in many cases, especially when friends and
family want to know why they are doing what they are doing.  And for
some people who choose Islam, their friends and family can be quite
hostile toward them.  In my case, I've had it fairly easy, my friends
and family being fairly supportive, but other people don't have it so
lucky.

     All I was trying to say in my last email, is that it gets tiring
always trying to explain for the 100th time how Islam doesn't condone
this, and Islam doesn't condone that, and often explaining it for the
100th time to the same person, who just isn't satisfied with the
answers you're giving them.

     I don't know why some Muslims feel the need to go and blow things
up.  I, personally, don't see the justification for it.  And as far as
prayer beads go, I have two sets of them.  Hmmm...  So what does that
mean?

     I'm just not sure what else to say.  Only that I've learned in
recent months / years that opening your mouth and speaking your mind,
is not necessarily a good thing.  At the least, someone will
misunderstand you, or question your motives and intentions, and then
you'll have to spend your time trying to explain yourself, or remain
misunderstood.  Or at the worst, you might get the crap beaten out of
you!

     I'm starting to think that it's better just to keep my mouth
shut, because inevitably, someone is going to come out of the
woodwork, who doesn't agree with me, and start making insinuations
about me which are wrong, and most of the time, these people don't
even know me that well.

     I'm just starting to think that keeping quite is the best thing
anyway.  Especially when topics of race or religion come up.

Anyway, I have nothing more to say on this.