GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamila Allston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:35:36 -0700
Ebou...

You need to remember that when you begin to mock the cultural hair styles that you incorrectly attribute to such persons as Michael Jackson, you are engaging in the highest form of African self hatred.

Have you not forgotten that African-Americans were stolen from the shores of Africa and many were taken directly from the Gambia.  After having our legacies, languages and direct cultural associations beaten out of us, we fought to reclaim our African identifies.  And what look is appropriate for Africans, as we have all been infused by an oppressor whether it was the European (Christian) or the Arab (Islam) who both ran through Africa with a vicious sword.

In addition, Africa will need the emotional, intellectual and financial support of African Americans if it is to survive the devastation that is taking place throughout the continent.  It is such ignorant comments that makes me (and many of my fellow African Americans) say in frustration why even bother and lets see where Africa (including The Gambia) will be in the next ten years!

You think Africa is suffering now..you will not even begin to image the suffering Africa will incur if those with the ability don't get their acts together.  Think of the big picture.   While the frivolous debate goes on, Africa continues to slowly die.  Work at constructively changing Africa's fate, not destructively accelerating her death!

Jamila