GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sophia Ba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:43:31 -0800
Greetings Everyone

I think its about time, Africa refused to pay poverty tax to the West. After
all Africa has contributed freely or at a subsistance level to western
development for 500 years.

These post independent loans and structural adjustment policies innovated by
the Brentwoods Group are another charade to keep spinning illusions of
Africa's dependent on the West. Check it out what would happen if there was
more trading amongst Africa and other economic blocks? If Africa started to
concentrate on diversifying its export base. Thus setting a market price for
its primary mineral resources.Hence stopping the leakage of resources
finding themselves illegally in someone elses coffers.

Let's face it is only Africa that will break its neck paying extortionate
high interest rates to please the master. For what exactly, If we look at
the US with its trillions of dollar deficit, we are aesthetically aware why
America is in debt. But when we look at the delapidated infrastructure of
Africa, we see its in need.

I think its about time the African Union starts to get its own house in
order, instead of following the Western formula of frugality, to keep
African economics in the niche of primary resource sector- diversification
is i dire need.

Its about time Africa formulated a proper argument for reparations based on
sweat tax not, to mention blood over the period of force migration
(slavery), colonialism, neo-colonialism. I am sure that any so-called debt
which Africa owes can be wiped out and still leave Africa in the black.

Whilst those in power have the wool pulled over their eyes worrying about
how to pay the Master, wouldn't it better for them to concentrate on how to
win the case for reparations of the debt owed to Africa and its people. Thus
pushing on to the international agenda fair trade and an end to economic
slavery, and the untimely death of many of our brothers and sisters?

The challenges which Africa faces are immense and within each challenge
their is an opportunity which calls for greater unity and pragmatism in
order to implement the progress Africa needs

Peace & Unity

Sophia Ba.