GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 07:50:23 +0100
Hello Folks,
I just thought of sharing this Gem with out from the ARABNEWS published in
Saudi Arabia.I must emphasised that this newspaper is Middle of the Road
publication,and the editor(Mr Adil Salahi) of the Islamic Column is well
known and respected Scholar of Islam.He has written many books on Islam,but
his best in my view is the Biography of Prophet Muhammad published by the
Islamic Foundation of leicester,UK.
The piece appeared in today's(2/2/08)publication.
Happy reading.
Musa.

The Discourse
Adil Salahi I Arab News

*Q. Despite what your writers say, there is enough evidence in the Qur'an to
support the requirement that women should cover their faces when they go
out. When someone tries to prove a different viewpoint, the argument becomes
one of language. Unfortunately there are many people who try to persuade
women not to observe the Islamic values and teachings. Thus they become a
means used by Satan to lead people astray. If we look at many Muslim
countries today, we find this to be common in many areas. The proper way to
counter this is that women should fully observe the Islamic dress code.*

*Emran Khan*

*A.* The first thing we would like to point out is that we will always
explain the Islamic point of view, without hesitation or alteration. We
believe that every thing Islam legislates is for the benefit of the
individual and society. There is nothing in Islam that is contrary to human
nature or serves any interest other than human interests. Indeed, Islamic
legislation is geared to bring out the best in man. We need not feel shy or
ashamed about anything in Islam. When we do not see the benefit of a part of
Islamic legislation, we realize that this is due to a gap in our
understanding; it can be remedied by more study and research.

We must also realize that Islamic legislation is balanced. It neither places
undue pressure on man nor impedes his work, nor does it stifle his talent.
It aims to bring about the best in man while steering him along a middle way
that enhances virtues and enjoys pleasures. Unfortunately, people often try
to impose a strict view that leans toward restriction. In so doing, they
place people under heavy pressure. It is part of human nature that pressure
is the first motive to try to break loose. When you confine a person within
a building or an area, he immediately begins to look for a way to break out.
If you want to keep him within that area and get him to go about life in the
normal way, you need first of all to remove all restrictions on his
movement. In other words, you need to tell him that he is free to leave at
any time. You then explain to him why it is better that he should stay
there.

Needless to say, this applies to men and women alike. Islamic legislation
applies to both in the same way, with minor differences that serve their
complementary roles in human life. Unfortunately, long periods of
backwardness that affected many parts of the Muslim world led to placing
women under heavy restrictions, which were given a religious guise. Thus,
some restrictions that prevailed in certain cultures were associated with
Islam, when Islam had nothing to do with them. A careful study of Islamic
requirements of women will reveal that much of the restrictions people claim
to be Islamic are cultural, prevailing within certain societies, rather than
Islamic. The Islamic dress code, for example, is much more liberal than
people's impositions.

As for women covering their faces, this is a matter of choice. It is not a
duty required by Islam. You say that there is enough evidence in the Qur'an
to support this. The fact is there is none. When you take all relevant
Qur'anic statements and study them carefully, you will realize that no such
requirement is made.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい