GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:29:31 +0100
*Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue*

*Issue No. 18/2006, 9-12 March 2006*

*Editorial*

*OBSERVER AND NADD*

First and foremost, the Daily Observer published a report on the press
conference regarding the selection of NADD's flag bearer, on Friday March 3
rd, with the caption "NADD in Disarray." The caption did not march the
content.  The article reflected what had been said by Mr. Lamin Waa Juwara,
Mr. Omar Jallow and Mr. Kemeseng Jammeh.  All of them indicated their
commitment to NADD and called for tolerance between the opposition.

The article concluded with the remarks by the standard bearer of NADD that
the NADD is walking on its feet; that what is necessary is to exercise
modesty, vigilance and conviction" that he will not lead NADD to failure.  On
Monday March 6th, it published another article under the caption "NADD is in
coma"

Here too Bala Jahumpa had called on the flag bearer of NADD to resign on the
ground that the vast majority of NADD members have resigned, even though
this is far from the truth.  Investigative journalism should have been
exercised to validate SOS Jahumpa's claims before publication.  It is
evident that no member of the NADD executive had written to the IEC for it
to be deregistered.  What NADD has received are three resignation letters
from the leader and deputy leader of the UDP and the leader of the NRP.

This clearly cannot be called the majority of members deserting NADD.

In its march 7 edition the Daily Observer again published a letter from one
Aji Oumie Jallow from Kanifing Estate who simply claims that the opposition
is wasting time without expressing any facts to substantiate the claim: It
also published an article by Ebu Jallow entitled "NADD is no longer
relevant." The article is defamatory in every respect.

The article transformed NADD into the property of the flag bearer and
personalized the criticisms.

A balanced article should pass the test of truth, good faith and the public
interests NADD's goals, were distorted in the article.  It gives the
impression of a personality driven entity rather than an objective driven
party.  It also gives the impression that NADD is bound by Idealism   instead
of realism.  Here again investigative journalism would reveal that decision
making in NADD comes through unanimity meaning that the ideology or
programme of any given party cannot be imposed.

What is clear through Foroyaa's investigation is that NADD aims to reform
the constitution, the laws, public service administration, ensure financial
discipline in managing public resources and sign the Memorandum of
Understanding establishing the African Peer Review Mechanism to guarantee
that Gambia adheres to the standards of best practice in democratic
governances.  To accuse Halifa Sallah of trying to import his own thinking
to guide a transition which is aimed to create a level ground for genuine
multiparty contest.  After the transition, is to say the least an, unfair
opinion.  The NADD programme is known to the press and the Gambian people.  It
is a five year transitional programme.  The flag bearer will not seek a
second term or support any other party in the subsequent Presidential
elections.  There is no room for any form of despotism or dictatorship of a
group in such a scheme of things.  Observer should be honest to call a spade
a spade and dissociate itself form opinions that do not stand the test of
truth, good faith and the public interest.  Fellow Foroyaa's example, Daily
Observer! It publishes the contribution of APRC National Assembly Members in
full and give good coverage to the rallies of the other political
parties.  This
is the way the press can promote a multi party democracy which Ebu Jallow
and the Daily Observer claims that Halifa is an enemy of.  Practice seems to
be indicating the Daily Observer as oblivious to its role in giving fair
coverage to all political parties.  In the interest of promoting multi party
democracy.

*NO REVENUE COLLECTION AT MANSAKONKO*

*By Pateh Baldeh*

For nearly two weeks there have been no revenue collections by the
Mansakonko Area Council. When the information reached this paper our
reporter walked to the council's offices to confirm the story. Mr. Drammeh,
the treasurer confirmed the story saying that they had no books and as a
result they are not allowed to collect monies from market vendors. He told
this reporter that they are losing revenue and as a result this will make
their work difficult. Drammeh said that the information they got from the
National stationary and printing corporation is that they are trying to
re-organize the place and it is now called the Printing and Publication
Corporation. However he said they are expecting books as soon as possible.
When contacted the Chairman of MAC, Mr. Wally Sanneh, denied the allegation
and told this report that they have books and are doing their daily
collections. He dismissed the rumour and said it is a mere allegation.

I also told the Chairman of a complaint by the market vendors that there is
no toilet at the Soma market which he also dismissed, saying that the toilet
is under construction and some of the materials of the toilet was shown to
this reporter by the Chairman. However the market vendors said they use the
toilets of those compounds close to the market. Vendors also told to me that
they have not been seeing the collectors for sometime now and are not
informed of any reason for that.

*NADD IS NOT PETTY*

Halifa Sallah, the flag bearer of the National Alliance for Democracy and
Development, has told journalists that NADD cannot be classified as petty or
unserious.  Mr. Sallah made this statement at a press conference organised
by NADD at its headquarters in Tallinding.

"We engaged in a preventive strategy that we will not be dragged in

to confrontation .But we will rely on the integrity of NADD to call on all
human beings who love justice, who want peace for this country, nationally
and internationally to come to the aid of the Gambia. All of you have
ultimately seen President Obasanjo coming in to the Gambia. He didn't come
for any other purpose. He didn't come for a state visit. He came purely to
engage in the preventive strategy of ensuring that The Gambia does not move
into confrontation. He met NADD for three hours and all the five parties
were represented by NADD. The message we gave him must have been a mature
message. He heeded the message and decided to continue with his negotiation.
.He spoke to the President.  The message must have been mature for the
President of the Republic to enter into negotiation with the opposition. The
following day, for almost five hours, the ruling party and the opposition
headed by its vice President, and ultimately the President, appeared. We
engaged in dialogue, in exchanges. It must have been mature for a head of
state to sit there listening to the opposition and the Government for five
hours and ultimately sign a memorandum of understanding before a whole
nation, which was then broadcast in all the languages. I do not think NADD
could be classified as a group who are unserious. NADD cannot be classified
as petty; the respect NADD had is the same respect NADD has today.  It is
respected nationally and internationally.  From the negotiations between the
ruling party and NADD, we are sure that those who came to talk to us have
left highly inspired that they have left in the Gambia a mature group of
people who wished to be an alternative, not for the sake of being an
alternative, but to build genuine Democracy and Development in the Country.
Many, many times in the process, I came to give advice that if we could not
unite to be NADD, it was best to separate and we would go and seek the
mandate of the people.  Two months before election, then we decide to come
together.  But the NADD ideal was captivation.

It was accepted by the Gambian people.  All of us continued to be there
because that is the aspiration of the Gambian people.  Nobody was deceived
into this.  At given stages, certain parties wanted to go it alone.

Deadlines were set.  Ultimately all of us accepted the deadlines to
consolidate NADD.  Every agreement was based on the principle of unanimity,
not a dissenting voice.  There were disagreements, but decisions were based
on unanimity, not even simple majority.  This is unique in every respect and
it has been my doubt how we will ever achieve unanimity in selecting a flag
bearer, but then the dust settled when a committee met, irrespective of
their party commitments.  They came with unanimous vote.  This reflects
sincerity.  There could not be distrust under such circumstances.  Everyone
has a right to seek the mandate of the people.  Every person has a right to
be President if the people will it.  No one can claim ownership of that
position.  They can contest but what is noble is that the NADD objective
remains in our view.  A new Gambia is in view.  A new Africa is building the
type of democracy that we collectively created and own.  We will be an
example to other Countries in Africa.  Our mission is clear.  Within few
days, the executive will meet to look at all aspects of our campaign.  We
will need campaign strategies and issues.  We will need structures and
resources.  We will elaborate on all these concretely.  We are calling on
every Gambian to be ready to contribute mental energy, physical energy and
as well as resources to our collective enterprise."  Landing Jallow Sonko,
an Executive Member of NADD, said "There was an important occasion here
which was witnessed by an eminent African in the person of Obasanjo.  I was
not fortunate to attend that gathering.  I was out of town.  The point I
want to put across is that, at that particular meeting, all the five parties
agreed that they will sign under the name of NADD, (PPP, UDP, NRP, NDAM and
PDOIS).  NADD signed on behalf of all of them.  We all agreed that front.  I
want to confirm that NADD came as a result of the creation of the five
parties putting their efforts and resources together.  There was no cause
for anybody to withdraw.  Without NADD, there is no window of opportunity
for anybody to oust Yaya Jammeh."

Amie Sillah, an Executive Member of NADD also made a brilliant expose at the
press conference.

Amie said, "NADD is an alternative.  It came to bring about gender equality,
social inclusion, social justice and a better Gambia.  We are calling on our
colleagues to come back.  It is through coming together that we can make a
change.  United we stand and divided we fall.  Gambia is 'one boat' and we
don't want our 'boat' to sink.  We don't want our Country to cry.  It is the
Smiling Coast.  As women, as mothers, as wives, we want it to smile forever
and that can only happen under NADD."

Ya Fatou Sonko, another Executive Member remarked, "they have to come and
join NADD.  I am referring to the women in the NRP, UDP and APRC.  NADD is
the only party that can do something for the women."

*FARMERS DESPERATE*

*By Pateh Baldeh*

Farmers in Niamina have bitterly complained of their total disenchantment
with this year's trade season.  Speaking to some at Niamina Dalaba, they
complained that they have sold their nuts to a private dealer who has
already bought and transited their groundnuts but that no money has yet been
paid to them. To them the most disappointing thing of the whole arrangement
is that the man whom they described as the dealer is even not visiting them
to make known his position in paying them their monies. The farmers of the
area agreed with the private dealer that there will be no credit buying.
They said there used to be a secco or buying centre in Dalaba, Dankunku and
Jareng operated by the cooperative society in previous years, but that this
year, there is no secco operated by the cooperative society; that this made
them to sign an agreement with this private dealer. "We have no option as we
have no place our sell our produce," complained the farmers. "We are totally
disappointed and have no choice as we are responsible people and have no
money to solve our family problems.  We have children who are going to
school and many other family problems which are uncountable." The farmers
further complained that they earn their income through farming and that they
have no other cash crops other than groundnuts. Others have threatened to
stop farming groundnuts if this system did not stop.

* *

*"OPPOSITION SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN ATTESTATION BY ALKALOS*,"

*SAYS SOS TOURAY.*

*By Pateh Baldeh***

Speaking at a rally held at Malikunda in the Niamina West District during
his tour with the people, the SOS for Agriculture who is also the National
Moblisher of the APRC, Hon. Yankuba Touray, told Alkalos not to give
attestation letters to members of the opposition. Touray said that as the
registration of voters is on the way, Alkalos should not give attestation to
anyone they knew as a member of the opposition. He told the gathering that
this is the method that the Alkalos of Badibou are now taking against any
opposition member; that they will say they doubt his/her time of birth.
Touray called on the people of Niamina to rally behind the APRC for more
development projects as he put it, the Soma Basse high way is on the way
together with the Nerica rice seeds. In responding to farmers complaint of
the failure of the trade season, Hon Touray said that the problem of the
trade season this year is not only affecting the Gambia alone but the whole
of Africa continent. He told farmers that all of their groundnuts will be
bought before April 2006. He advised them to keep their groundnuts before
the time.

Speaker after speaker complained of the high prices of basic commodities.
Alh. Mambuya Jallow spoke at length of the economic hardship saying that the
prices of goods are everyday increasing. Aja Jawo Jallow said the high
prices of goods are not caused by President Jammeh but the Gambian people.
She called on unity among the APRC Militants.

FOROYAA will get in touch with the Secretary of state t explain why he made
such adverse statement.

* *

* *

*NADD Introduce Its Flag-Bearer*

Halifa indicated that neither public sector nor private sector investment is
leading to the development of the productive base of the economy, that this
is why social resources and general welfare are the casualty.  He explained
that if a government spends more than it earns in revenue it must take loans
from the banks for consumption.

He argued that the deficit in 2005 was 855 million.  According to him this
deprives the private sector of productive investments.  Halifa concluded
that since the over 15 billion dalasis in circulation in the currency market
is not being invested by the private sector, since the public sector
investment is being made erratically such as spending over 300 million to
purchase and refurbish a Ocean Bay Hotel, the productive base of the economy
will not grow and government debts will increase.  This is what leads to the
utilization of more than 30% of public revenue to service and repay debts
consequently, employment will not grow, earning of public sector workers
would stagnate, social service would be under funded and poverty will
increase.  He emphsized that this is why 69% of the population are living in
object poverty.

*To be continued*

* *

*TRIBUTE TO EBOU MADI SILLAH (COMRADE)*

*By Hassan Madi Sillah*

Mr. Ebou Madi Sillah, commonly known as Comrade was a real Comrade indeed.
He lived by his words. As a brother, I can assert to that fact.

Ebou Madi Sillah was well known for his beautiful artifacts and his
revolutionary ideas. That's what earned him the name "Comrade!"

He contributed a lot to National development through his ideas and art
works. Comrade lectured many students at the Gambia. He also nurtured many
youths as a mentor in the Greater Banjul Area. Comrade was a man of
personality and principles and he lived by his brow.

Comrade was courageous and often encouraged people to do good things and
excel in life. He was a positive thinker and very optimistic about life. He
was harmless and also very decisive. He was upright and hated bribery and
corruption.

Comrade was an avid reader and thus knowledgeable in many fields such as
History, Philosophy, Anthropology, Religion, Science, Arts and Culture. He
taught these subjects with passion.

I'll best describe my brother and mentor as a hero. The Sillah Kunda Family
has lost a gem. But he is not only a lost to our family but to The Gambia,
Africa and the World. Our family is mourning him together with friends and
relatives.  We will celebrate his life until we meet him again.

May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

* *

*SIDIA ON POVERTY ALLEVIATION*

In his contribution to the adjournment debates, the National Assembly Member
for Wuli West, Hon. Sidia Jatta, started his contribution by saying that "It
is a joy to live with the people.  When I say the people, I mean what we
generally call "the ordinary people."

It is a joy to live with them because you learn a lot.  We have been talking
about poverty reduction year in and year out and people believed that
poverty is reducing.  These people failed to understand that each time they
make an attempt to reduce poverty, they aggravate it.  That is why I say it
is a joy to live with the ordinary people because you see how people are
coping with problems of the system.  They forget that each time they do
something with their budget; they are impacting negatively on the vast
majority of the people.  I see ordinary civil servants whose transport
allowances can hardly pay for half of the days for which they come to work
in the month.  The totality of their monthly transport allowances can hardly
pay for half of the days for which they come to work.  For example, now that
petrol price is being increased, transport fares may go up, but the
allowances remain stagnant and salaries likewise.  So it means each time
that we do something here in this National Assembly, (we included because we
approve budgets), we are impacting negatively on the lives of the people.  And
yet we all clamour for poverty reduction when we in our effort in approving
budgets of this nature, we are contributing to the increment of
poverty.  Honestly,
let anybody take interest to casually make a survey in wherever you may be.
Even in a Village! Make a survey and find out how these things are impacting
negatively on people.  Somebody said here, I think it is the Member for
Lower Niumi that we are here to speak for the people we are representing.  And
that is why we must assume that responsibility adequately otherwise we are
failing.  The budget we have dealt with here is saying that the fundamental
objective is poverty reduction.  But no! That is just one fundamental
objective.  This budget has three fundamental objectives.  One is poverty
reduction which is dependent on other fundamental objectives.

The second is to make effort to reach HIPC completion point and the third
one is to curb payment of arrears for internal debts.  Poverty reduction
measures are dependent on the second and the third items.  The second item
is to make effort to reach HIPC completion point which will result to either
debt relief or debt cancellation and the third one is to curb terrible
arrears which earn immense interests.  Unless the second and the third are
completed, the first cannot be completed.  The Secretary of State himself
has said it clearly when he said "The implementation of poverty reduction
programmes has met with difficulties and that less than 40% of those
programmes are being implemented because of these two items in the budget.  For
me, there is no amount of money that will be borrowed and then invested into
poverty reduction programmes that would reduce poverty.  The only way we can
reduce poverty in our circumstances is to enhance the productive capacity of
our farmers, and, of course, create outlets for their produces in terms of
Agriculture proper and horticulture.  Enhancing the productive capacity of
farmers would require that the infertile lands that are presently being used
are rendered fertile, by making fertilizer available, accessible and
affordable.  Fertilizer is terribly expensive.  I couldn't buy more than
four bags of fertilizer in the last rain season and that is even 'a lot'!
Which farmer can buy two bags of fertilizer? And two bags are insufficient
for a standard size farm! It is not possible! So what the Member for Niamina
East, Hon. Eliman Secka, was saying, that groundnut production has gone down
this year, was not only because the seeds were bad.  May be that was a
factor, but the land is so infertile and that farmers cannot have enough
money to buy what they require to render their farms fertile.  I have seen
farmers, when they buy a bag of fertilizer; they go and put it only around
the crop.  I said but this is not it.

Somebody said maybe you don't understand.  If I want to broadcast it, the
fertilizer would not even cover a quarter of my farm.  So it is best I put
it around the crop.  And that means only around the crop will be probably
fertile and the rest will be infertile.  Next year when you put something
there, you have the same problem.  So I think there is the need for us to
contemplate this issue more seriously.  This, for me, is the crucial problem
with poverty in this Country," Sidia concluded.

* *

*SOLDIER ALLEGEDLY STABS CIVILIAN*

*By Pateh Baldeh*

One Bubacarr Bah was on Sunday 26th February 2006, allegedly stabbed with a
knife by a soldier in Farafenni.

This incident occurred when Bubacarr and his associates were coming from a
religious gathering at Baddibou Salikenni.  One of his friends who was
travelling with him, explained that they were coming from the religious
gathering and going back to Senegal when the Said Soldier who was in mufty,
confronted Bubacarr and asked him remove the badge he was putting on.  The
badge bears the name of the Association (Dara). He said the Soldier told
Bubacarr that such badges are not allowed in the Gambia. They then started
pulling and pushing   and finally the soldier pulled his knife and stabbed
Bubacarr, just close to his eye. Shortly after the accident, this reporter
arrived at the scene and was told that the victim was rushed to the
Farafenni Hospital. Many people were heard condemning the action of the
Soldier. I visited the hospital, and the Police Station.  At the Police
station there were a lot of people I was told by the Police that the matter
was being investigated and was referred to the Police PRO.  The Senegalese
authorities and their security officers were also present at the Farafenni
Police Station.  They were said to be demanding for the victim to be taken
for treatment in Senegal but could not get this from the Gambian side.

* *

*"IF THEY ARE LOANS DON'T USE THEM" ***

*SOS JAHUMPA TELLS NADD COODINATOR*

*By Yaya Dampha*

At a meeting held in Soma, SOS Bala Kaba Jahumpa told the gathering that
very soon all the five major roads in the country would be constructed. He
said for the Soma Basse road and the Soma.  Mandinaba one, a team will be at
Mandinaba while the other team will be based in Soma, to make the work fast.
He went on to say that two new ferries will soon be commissioned and one
will be named "Farafenni" and the other one "Soma." He said that President
Jammeh and his government are doing very well and that people should give
him a hand so that all can benefit.

SOS Jahumpa chided the NADD coordinator that all that he will tell the
people is that all these things are loans. He said that during the
by-elections when (he) Jahumpa put on his television, he was mesmerized to
see Hon. Halifa Sallah on the TV, selling his program to the electorate. He
said that if these things were loans, then why should Halifa and others use
these amenities. Jahumpa further told the gathering that NADD is not able to
select their leader within 300 days whilst Jammeh and his boys were able to
select their leader in seventy two hours. On Lawyer Darboe, SOS Jahumpa
described him as a tribal and un directed politician. He said Darboe was UDP
and then he joined forces with other opposition parties and participated in
the development of an MOU, attended the signing ceremony of NADD only to
came out now and say that NADD was not directed. He said that people should
ask Darboe what made him to belong to NADD all these years only to know now
that they are not well directed.

He said that when the NADD leaders met to select their flag bearer, they
resolved that they should meet at another time and that before the time,
Darboe decided to quite because of his tribal sentiment. He said that hence
Darboe said he left NADD as an individual and not the UDP as a party; that
Darboe should tell Gambians where he belongs. Jahumpa told the people of
Jarra to rally behind the APRC as the only party that can bring development
to their doorstep. He said Kemeseng should tell the people why he accepted
to remain in NADD when his leader has left. He said Kemeseng knows that he
will lose his seat and lose the elections; that that's why he remained in
NADD. He described Hon. Kemeseng Jammeh as a selfish person who does not
follow the wishes of his leader. SOS Juahumpa said the imprisonment of Baba
Jobe should not be used as an agenda or reason for voting in the opposition.
He said that in the last elections even though the LRD and URD voted for the
opposition, that did not prevent Jammeh from becoming President. He adviced
the people of Jarra to follow the directions of the wind.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい