GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:17:08 EST
Everyone:
Here goes Dibba talking about the 'National Interest' again.

National interest is the overriding factor New Speaker of Parliament tells
deputies

Barely minutes after assuming office, the new Speaker of the National
Assembly, honourable Sheriff Mustapha Dibba has told deputies that although
they may wish to reflect the polices and programmes of their parties in the
Assembly, they must know that: “of overriding importance is the national
interest. I therefore think we will all be guided by this basic principle”.
Mr Dibba said that though he was not a member of the Assembly for the past
five years, he was keenly following its proceedings.

“From that, I will like to express my personal thanks and I am sure I am
doing this on your own behalf, to my predecessor, Mr Mustapha Wadda who has
been presiding over the affairs of this Assembly for the past five years". He
assured the honourable members that he would do as his predeccessor did and
appealed to them for their cooperation. Dibba said the Assembly was going to
be an interesting one for the fact that never were there so many women
members in the Assembly than this time.

The honourable Speaker thanked the ruling party for such a laudable move in
nominating him and for giving opportunity to women to serve in the National
Assembly. Honourable Dibba assured the deputies that he would try to live up
to expectation in guiding the Assembly to wards the achievement of its
objectives.