GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Gajigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 00:36:45 -0700
I saw this story on yesterday's (Tuesday) Daily Observer. I must confess I
have heard stories like this but for some reason (I don't know what),
reading it in a newspaper is just...hilarious. See for yourself.

Blindman escapes mob justice for allege penis snatching

Sheikh Omar Bah, 25, a blind Senegalese from Kaolack, escaped mob justice
after being accused of snatching one Mohamed Touray's penis at Ebo Town last
Wednesday. Mohamed said the incident happened while he was on his way to the
market. He added that he met with the blindman about 600 metres away from
his compound while he (the blindman) was attempting to cross the Kombo
Sillah Highway. “I tried to assist by directing him to cross the highway. He
later shook my hand and prayed for me. But few minutes later I realised that
my penis had disappeared and I ran towards him accusing him of being
responsible for my missing ‘leg’

At first he denied but later confessed to have done the act. He (the
blindman) then requested for water to perfrom a ritual in order to replace
my missing penis which he succeeded in doing,” Mohamed said. The incident
brought a large crowd in the compound and people waiting angrily to take the
law into their hands. The said blindman was rescued by a police officer, P C
Darboe of Tallinding Police Station.

When asked why he did what he did, he retorted that he needed money to use
as he had been in the country since Tobaski. One Ebrima Jabbie among the
angry crowd said he was disappointed and urged lawmakers to take immediate
action against such people or else they would take jungle justice to them.
Both Mohamed and the blindman together with the boy's family were taken to
the Tallinding Police Station for further questioning.