GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:05:19 EDT
Ceesay,
       Your idea of  a directory of progressive Gambian Intellectuals is
laudable.But I am not comfortable with the word 'progressive' in the title of
your directory.
      The word 'progressive' is both loaded and connotative.In the heydays of
a the bi-polar world (not to say Cold War) which  is  now a phenomenon of the
past,the word was used to refer to people with leftist leanings, intellctuals
or not.And I don't think that the word has yet lost this meaning.By the same
token you don't want to tell me that all the Gambian intellectual yor going
to put in this directory,including you ,are of the left.
        As a suggestion, you should perhaps omit the word to avoid this
implied controversy.

                                  KOLI TENGELA