GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:29:12 +0000
Sams, thanks for your post and welcome to the "Cabudu Factor".  I am glad
that you also noticed the subtleties of this government.  A while back I
mentioned the Jola factor and I guess folks just discount it as "there goes
Joe again".  Now, you mentioned the "Gurrmet" factor, and I agree with you,
but guess what, it is going to be ignored.  Not that a "Gurrmet, Seringe, or
Jola" should not be given this or that position, but it should be based on
merit.  Please show me anyone of the SOSs that was selected based on merit?
None.  So, we should not be surprised that brother Manu Kumba was selected
over brother Axi or any other brother or sister.  The fact is, it could have
been anyone, and the nomination would still lack merit.  We cannot build a
society based on patronage and nepotism.  The Gurrmets are benefactors as a
result of the family that raised Jammeh.  As they would fondly say "Yaya
Sunn Bos Laa".  The Jolas are benefactors by virtue of their ethnicity.  The
countless others that do not fit these two categories got what they have
through praise singing and other miserly conducts.

This is why I said that we cannot see our struggle with this criminal
enterprise in piece-meal.  We cannot also wait until it hits close to home
for us to start calling a spade a spade.  I am Jola, but that never stopped
me from calling the "Jola Factor" what is.  I am perceived to be Catholic,
which I am not, but that did not stop me from calling it as it is.  I am
friends with many Gambians, but that should not stop me from telling the
truth, regardless of who is affected.  I know how many folks wrote me
privately, questioning my friendship with Mafy and TJ.  That will never stop
me from speaking the truth.  This is how we can transform our society for
the better.  However, if we only speak when it relates to the "Other", then
we are participants to the corrupt culture of "Ratcha Taai Saa Borr".  I now
leave you once again with an excerpt from Mr. D.A. Jawo's piece on "Jammeh's
Dilemma", which sums the sickness that is consuming our society.

"It appears that President Jammeh is beginning to be confronted with the
reality that it is not easy to run a government through the use of political
patronage, as it seems to have been the practice in his administration.
While he may be the richest head of state in the sub-region, he has to
realise that the running of a government is much more than the frequent
dishing out of money and material gifts as well as the distribution of
public service positions to party loyalists and praise singers. Such a
situation is not only expensive and unsustainable but there are not also
enough public service positions to go round to all those who kow-tow after
him. Therefore, the only reasonable thing to do is to appoint the right
people in the right places, regardless of their political affiliation or
social status.The frequent sacking of public service employees,apparently
for being suspected of sympathising with the opposition is no doubt part of
the scheme to create more jobs for the party loyalists and praise-singers.

That in itself is not only unsustainable but is also having a negative
impact on productivity within the public service. The situation is so bad
that the public service is now less than half as productive as it had been
before the coup in 1994. One possible reason for that is because most of the
seasoned professionals within the public service have been replaced by
mediocres whose most important qualifications had been their loyalty to
President Jammeh and the APRC.

While President Jammeh may have the best intentions for the progress of this
country and the 'sky is the limit' for his intention to make this country
into a model in Africa, but unless he gets the right calibre of people to
man the various sectors of his administration and help him implement his
Vision 2020 dream, he cannot make a headway. Therefore, it is time that he
realised the futility of encouraging political patronage and instead start
to encourage every well meaning Gambian with the necessary talents and
skills to participate in nation building, regardless of their political
inclinations. He should therefore disregard all the bad advices he had been
receiving from his praise-singers and cronies, most of whom are only
interested in their own personal aggrandizement."  Thank you Mr. Jawo for
calling it as it is.

"We Sall Speak The Truth For It Shall Set Us Free"

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou