GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:06:07 -0500
Comrades:

It has been tough for the past two months.  I want to let you know that I
am back amongst the family of struggle against the dictatorship in the
Gambia.

I have read with amusement issues discussed on this panel. There have been
several issues, especially female circumcision.  This is an issue that I
thing should not be legislated.  Those of us who have witnessed and became
aware of the procedures,would like to advocate in educating the elderly in
our rural areas.  We cannot indulge ourselves into bringing western
ideologies in confronting this issue.

The saddest thing with our western ideas is that we tend to ignore our
cultural importance and pride.  We will be doing the Gambian people a favor
in advocating a moderate role in our opposition to female circumcision.

This is not about women rights, but about an essential issue that we can
genuinely talk about.  We must not let our guards down in refusing to
understand the underlying circumstances of this critical issue.

I was disappointed at the results of the Secondary School Certificate.  The
results were so dismal that I wonder about the purpose of building all
those high schools. This dictator has devalued our education system that he
needs to go.  Dictator yahya moron jams of kaninlai is the greatest threat
to the Gambia's progress.  We must join together and borrow a page from the
Ivorian people and kick him out of the Gambia.

Long live democracy and down with dictator yahya jams.  This dictator must
go.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh

--- Lamine Conteh