GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandra Lyseight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 06:28:28 PDT
lATJORR:

I would like to know what is going to be the theme of Brother Halifa
Sallah's discussion at the Africa Liberation Day (ALD) and also WHERE and
HOW one can purchase both the video and Audio tapes of his lecture. I would
have loved to attend it myself if it did not coincide with our own ALD
celebrations which we are hosting in Birmingham, this year.

Notwithstanding, like Soffie's plea, I would also urge all Africans in the
US and the UK to make it a point of duty and attend this year's ALD wherever
you are. Brother Sallah, I have to say, is a reputed speaker and my
colleagues discovered him when we visited the Gambia in 1997.

In August 1997, the Birmingham-based African Caribbean Self-Help took about
40 individuals from here to the Gambia to see their "roots", and everybody
who made that trip took his or her hat off for Brother Sallah when he came
to give us a talk about Marcus Garvey.

I myself had missed the Brother's lecture because I had left the day before
for a visit to Georgetown, but my Colleagues Sisters Miami, Donna, and
Brother Bini in particular were so impressed by the Brother's speech and, as
a consequence, he was invited to speak at the ALD in Manchester in May 1998.

And as far as I can recall, the Brother has been the best speaker we ever
had since I started attending ALD regularly from 1980. He had delivered two
good lectures, one in Manchester at the ALD, and another in Birmingham, and
both lectures were very inspiring.

May I also take the opportunity to inform those of you in the UK that you
are cordially invited by the Pan African Congress Movement (PACM) to a
public lecture to be given by Professor Charles SSali on Saturday, 27 May,
at the Holte Community Centre in Birmingham. Professor SSali's lecture
starts at 7pm, and will centre on the AIDS issue and Africa.

Then, on Sunday 28 May, and Monday 29, we celebrate ALD proper at the
Holyhead School in Handsworth in Birmingham. This year's theme is "The Black
Man and Black Woman Relationship", and the main speaker will be the dynamic
and inspirational Dr Jewel Pookrum of the USA.

This occasion, however, is strictly an African family event. By Africans, we
mean those of us (Africans) who are called by a variety of names - Negroes,
West Indians, Afro this, Afro that, Black Americans, Black British,
Nigerians, Bantus, Bajans, Jamaicans, Malians, Gambians etc.

ALD, as I see it, is about unity amongst the African race, moving forward
and making progress from a conscious base. It is an occasion when the
African people worldwide focus on the just fight for total liberation and
self determination; when we salute our victories and give firm meaningful
support to our continued fight for freedom.

ALD is therefore a vital link in our history to survive and our fight for
dignity, self respect and total liberation. It is also an occasion when we
pay our tribute to our heroic ancestors who have set a shining example for
us.

And if you are interested in buying PACM products, you can purchase them, if
you live in the London area, from the PACM base; and the phone number to
call is 0208 802 4489. However, if you live in the Birmingham area, then you
can purchase them from 104 Heathfield Road. The Phone number to call is 0121
554 2747.

PACM video tapes available for sale include Rev Al Shaprton's "No Justice,
No Peace"; Malcolm X's "By Any Means Necessary"; and Dr John Henrik Clarke's
"African Family, The Foundation for Survival" (ALD 96).

Also available for sale are Dr Ishamusa Barashango's "Black Woman, Queen
Mother of the Universe"; Dr Leonard Jeffries' "Africans and the New World",
and Del Jones' "Black Holocaust, Cultural Global African Genocide". The
video tapes cost £12.95.

Sandra