GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 12:12:53 EST
In a message dated 1/1/2002 3:33:16 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> . That's why i always say that
> there can never be any genuine reconciliation in the
> Gambia when the perpetrators of the crimes against the
> inncent people have still not accepted their guilt.
> Victims forgive and forget on the basis that those who
> wronged them accept responsibility. So as we start
> counting to 2003, i urge the government of the Gambia
> to just as it granted an amnesty to Sir Dawda, also
> equally unconditionally release Dumo and co; return
> the assests of the people who were a subject of the
> various commissions of inquiry...these people have
> suffered too much, sometimes they come home empty
> handed with their children asking daddy when will
> return to school; the law books should also be
> sanitised and cleansed with all the unnecessary
> clauses that limit fundamental human rights, that bar
> some gambians from standing for political office in
> their own country; the sacked civil servants shuold
> either be reinstated or be given their necessary
> benefits to start a new life; Sanna Sabally(formeer
> Vice chairman of the AFPRC) whose prison term
> according to the independent newspaper ended some
> weeks before the presidential elections should be
> released to rejoin his family; let human rights and
> the rule of law be respected in the country. And above
> all let the government and its opponents organise a
> national unity conference as soon as possible to chat
> a way forward for the country. So long we recognise
> the ligetimacy of a government in power to manage our
> taxes for us, the government should also gurantee and
> respect the rights of others to their opinion. In that
> we wil continue to live in peace and harmony.
>
> E Sillah.

Mr Sillah,

I second this motion. It is the only  realistic way forward, and any sincere
and well meaning person can and should realize this. The endless excuses will
never accomplish anything tangible, but rather serve as a mockery to those
who continue to suffer.

Jabou Joh