GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
alfusainey bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:56:14 PDT
The spread of chloroquin-resistant plasmodium falsiparum malaria, which is
the type of malaria we have in Sub Saharan Africa, has led to the increased
use of mefloquine prophylaxis by US Peace Corpse volunteers, as well as
short and long term travellers to mosquito infested regions. Mefloquine is
the most recommended antimalarial agent on the US market, but some
travellers who are unable to take mefloquine have taken doxycycline which is
also effective prophylactically.
It is however worth to note that in a study that was done to measure the
effectiveness and tolerance of long term malaria prophylaxis with
mefloquine, the incidence of plasmodium falsiparum malaria was compared in
peace corpse volunteers in West Africa who took mefloquine every two weeks
and in volunteers who took chloroquin phosphate weekly. Amazingly, mefloquin
was only 63% more effective than chloroquin. The monthly incidence of
plasmodium falsiparum malaria was one case per 100 volunteers who took
mefloquin and 2.7 cases per 100 volunteers who took chloroquin.
One can also reduce their risk of acquiring malaria by using bed netting,
wearing proper clothing. I remember when i lived in T-Road,in Banjul i used
to go to bed  fully clothed, with socks on. One can also apply mosquito
repellnts or light a moontiger.
May God bless and Peace be Upon All
Alasana Bah