GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ceesay Soffie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:39:30 -0500
Thank you Musa and everyone who's weighed in on the issues raised in your
piece.  Some of us get degrees and some of us get educated - I, for one,
appreciate the education I get from this listserv.  The debates are made the
richer by the many different viewpoints from which we debate.  Go
Gambia-L!!!

My rhetorical questions -

When does a nation transition from 'DEVELOPMENT' ala AFPRC to PRODUCTION
(efficiently and effectively)?  What tangible bits of difference have all
these 'infrastructure development plans' made in the lives of the people?

In 1998, results of the Poverty Assessment Survey (PPA) were released.
Findings in that report are no different from what obtains today -
unemployed workers and unsatisfied wants - POVERTY.

I agree with Mr. Sidibeh that one should not be dismissive of the
infrastructure development taking place.  We should, however, attempt to
weigh the cost and see the complete price of these undertakings. When
government spends, it should be based on getting the most for the least
which should then translate into prosperity and better living standards for
the citizens, not saddle our children, for generations to come, with working
off the debts.

The recent budget speech and current economic conditions give every
indication that "Allah's" bank is open to one person only.

Could one less hospital mean well stocked medicine cabinets, better service,
more hospital beds and linens,  lower costs of medical care for the RVH and
other health centers?  No compelling moral case can be made for SOME of the
continued political spending when the bare necessities are lacking in the
structures that already.

Soffie