GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pope Pope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:58:31 EDT
Tombong:

Are you isinuating that the president's absence during the shootings clears
him of any responsibility? The president has already told us that he was in
full contact with his advisers etc. so he must have been fully aware of the
situation back home. I dont think that the "shoot to kill" strategy that was
adopted would have been carried out without the president's orders (using
live bullets equals "shoot to kill" in my book). Besides even if he didnt
give the order to shoot, he is still culpable since he is in charge of those
who did or gave the order to shoot! If the orders didnt come from him then
there was twas serious lack of leadership during that tragic incident!

If all the killings had taken place on the same day then I can maybe (a big
maybe) understand that maybe the orders didnt come from him,  but some
students were later killed in the provinces. Are you telling me that people
were shot twice on different occasions and locations at different times,
without the presidents orders or knowledge?

It'd be a big mistake if the government underestimates people's resolve
regarding the killings. Bottomline is we want whoever was responsible for
this barbaric act to pay for it to the fullest extent of the law whether it
is the president or someone else who works for him! But again what if the
president is responsible, do you honestly think that he'd pay for it to the
fullest extent of the law? :-)

On the issue of those jailed having to go through a process, I respectively
disagree. If an arrest is legal then, yes they'll have to go through due
process but not when the arrest is illegal! An illegal arrest should simply
not take place in the first place. If an arrest is known to be illegal then
the person(s) should be freed immediately!

Respectfully

Pope