GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 22:36:53 EDT
Manneh,

I see that you are mixing two very different issues here, so perhaps I should
have made myself very clear when I commented on this issue. Please let me
make it emphatically clear that i am not discussing this land because I am
trying to defend Taf being given the land in Brufut. That is what started
this debate, but the Taf affair is a mess created by the Jammeh regime in
that they took land that was previously allocated to him for whatever
underhanded reason, and they are now trying to clean up that mess, or at
least make it appear so by giving him this land in Brufut. I am not defending
any of that at all. I actually do not condone handing over any land that
others have been living on or farming without consulting them.

Likewise, I also do not condone the underhanded tactics of the Jammeh regime
as far as this whole Taf affair is concerned in relation to the first piece
of land that was taken away from him.
If Jammeh is engaged in some pre-election PR and trying to remedy this
situation by shooting from the hip as usual, that is their affair.

However, this issue about who the land belongs to  is the debate that was
sparked by that whole discussion, and land ownership in The Gambia as it is
now is what concerns me, and what I am trying to address.

What i am commenting on here is the fact that some Gambians have land that
they claim belongs to their klan and is therefore their's, while othersl,
like myself for example, cannot make this claim. As someone whose klan does
not have self procalimed title to any large piece of land where a parcel can
be given to me without paying for it, if I need land, I have to have the
money to pay for it and  I find that to be grossly unfair.

You say that since my father is originally from Senegal, there must be land
there that our ancestors have claim to. Well, is that not the same point I
tried to make when I asked why you wanted to know where I am from.

You say that it was just a question, and yet, you have used the answer to
tell me where I can go and claim land, Senegal, when I am Gambia born and
bred and very much a Gambian by this single fact alone.  If this is the case,
why then should I have to go to another country that is not my country to lay
claim to land there? Clearly, this was the reason you asked the question
regarding family origin in the first place.

You asked why there are countries if people did not own land. Well, this is
elementary and does not follow the same logic. Countries are organized around
groups of people who have something or want something in common, and then
within that parcel of land that constitutes the country, individuals have a
system whereby they can acquire land,  which is a fundamental part of being a
citizen, and this system should not be inequitable as it is in The Gambia.

Therefore, it stands to logic then that everyone who calls themselves a
citizen of that country should be entitled to acquire land there and the
acquisition of such land should be uniform, either everyone buys land, or
everyone can make claim to some land without buying it. Any other method is
unfair and inequitable.
There cannot be some of the people who say the land is their's just because
they got there first, and their ancestors cut down the trees. It would be
total chaos in the whole World if this were the case.

These ancestors may have cleared the farmland when they first got there
because it was what was necessary in order for them to be able to use the
land. However, what we now have is a country where there is supposed to be a
demoratic system in place, or at least that is what we say we are fignting
for. This system is a system of laws that protect everyone's interest, and it
is the advantage of enjoying this protection as a society, a group, that
brings people together to form a country.

Once this happens, everything should then be decided on an equitable
footing.One cannot say we are all gambians, but at the same time say to the
rest of those who form this unit called a country, "sorry, but most of this
land was already mine, so let's just say we have a country together, but not
when it comes to land."

When countries are organized, laws are put into place for the protection of
the rights of every citizen. Therefore, we cannot operate on systems that
were the norm before the country was organized, or by systems that were put
into place or reinforced by our colonial masters whose only interest was to
pacify us while they extracted what they wanted from our lands.

If one wants to follow an old system of land ownership, then perhaps it would
have been more suitable to have stayed in those communities that they cleared
and farmed, and not look to have both the advantage of belonging to an
organized country and still enjoy the priviledges of not adopting a system of
land ownership that is fair to the country as a whole.

What we are talking about here is simple logic. it is utterly ridiculous to
say that one owns large tracts of land in a country simply by virtue of the
fact that ones ancestors cleared and farmed it long before the country was
organized. We are talking about a fair and equitable and uniform system of
land allocation that is suitable for a democratic country, and one in which
every citizen wants to be treated with fairness and equality in every aspect
of life. One cannot aspire for and expect fairness if some aspects of the
system are clearly unfair. Whether one wants to face this issue and discuss
and resolve it or not, it is not one that will just go away because someone
says that their ancestors cleared the land.

Pennsylvania was land given to Willaim Penn by the king of England in
pre-independence days. Likewise, families in the Southern part of the United
States held huge parcels of land during the time of slavery and up to the
civil war. There were also other families who held very large pieces of land
here in the U.S. In general, all people in the World cleared new and virgin
lands they went to settlle.These people do not control all this land now.
The Native Americans do not have the sole right to the land here, and
arrogantly appoint themselves the "giver" of land to other groups or
individuals even though they were here before, and i am sure their ancestors
cleared a forest or two. If land ownership should be based on who cleared
which piece of land, then there is still a good bit of land in Gambia that is
thick forest, and yielding a machete does not make it one's private property.

Is it logical that one should divide a country up among klans, especially
when there are other groups in the same country who do not have the same
priviledge?
I do not think so.

You wrote:

"There were tiny kingdoms, like the Kombo, Niumi, Badibu kingdoms etc, and
within these kingdoms we had clans. So if you are taking to task the
traditional way of land ownership, then maybe you shouldtravel back in time
and change the way Africans had always lived their lives."

Well Mr Manneh, what I can say to this is that, what we now have here, or are
attempting to have is a democracy , and not a kingdom. A democracy where each
of us expects fairness, peace and prosperity, and this calls for the
revisiting of certain ways of doing things for the greater good of the
society as a whole. Again, we cannot expect to benefit by a system and yet
not contribute to it's sustainance at the same time. One cannot have it both
ways.

Have a good weekend.

Auntie Jabou Joh

In a message dated 7/6/2001 2:53:52 AM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]