GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mori K. Jammeh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:33:52 -0600
Dear Gambia L,
It is very distasteful for the unending cycle of revelations which continue
to besiege the Yahya government since the July 22, coup in 1994, ostensibly
for the rampant corruption existing at the time.Whilst it was pleasant to
hear the president declare swift and decisive action against all those
involved. Well, considering recent revelations ranging from circumstances
leading to the death of Ousman Koro Ceesay to the transfer into foreign bank
A/Cs. of millions of Dalasis belonging to Gambian people.

I believe in "accountability" and "transparency" affecting officials from
upper echelons of the government.As we were all aware at the time of the
coup the above two words was and still is the mantra of the junta.I believe
with all my heart that not a single corrupt official should be prosecuted
until all other bigwigs in govt. including the president answer allegations
labeled against him by his former comrade Ebou Jallow.

It will indeed be of great help and patriotism to the motherland if all
those involved in the alleged transfer of funds to foreign bank accounts
come forward and reveal to the nation what has been happening . I challenge
the authorities to declare a harassment free Gambia so as to allow potential
volunteers to come forward and divulge all past misdeeds to the Gambian
press without fear of reprisals.If this is the only way for the preservation
of the trust between the rulers and the ruled let it happen and allow the
chips fall where they may.
Mori Kebba Jammeh