GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 10:51:03 EDT
Issue No. 98/2007, 22 – 23 August  2007

Editorial
Democracy and Sovereignty Means Having a Mind of  One’s Own
Sierra Leone Leads the Way
After going through a violent  conflict whose atrocities defied human
understanding, Sierra Leone is going  through a period of democratic transition, the
extent of which defies human  expectation and imaginations.
The two most significant developments in Sierra  Leone is the remarkable
institutionalization of democracy. Freedom of expression  is enlarged by
opposition parties owning radio stations.
In The Gambia,  Citizen FM which was open to both the ruling party and the
opposition is off the  air. The TV and Radio Station appears to be the property
of the APRC.  Broadcasters even send congratulatory messages to the party
leader of the APRC  in commemoration of the coup d’etat.
In the area of non state monopoly of the  media, Sierra Leone has moved far
ahead of The Gambia. The second most  remarkable development is the
independence of traditional and religious leaders  who come together to counsel for peace
instead of singing praises to a ruling  party. In this area too Sierra Leone
has moved far ahead of The Gambia.
The  third most remarkable development is the independence of the Electoral
commission.
In The Gambia, three chairpersons of the electoral commission had  been
removed unceremoniously and the last one spoke about going to the head  state to
receive personal funds to conduct registration exercise. In this area  too
Sierra Leone has moved far more ahead of The Gambia.
Furthermore, if  Sierra Leone were to be The Gambia the opposition would have
been celebrating  victory for having the highest number of votes but in
Sierra Leone one has to  have 55% of the votes to be a president in the first
round. Today they are  preparing to go to the second round to determine the
undiluted choice of the  people.
There is absolutely no doubt that whoever wins it is all Sierra  Leoneans who
can claim victory. The system is succeeding. No matter who becomes  leader it
is certain that if he fails to deliver Sierra Leoneans will never  hesitate
to show him the thumb down.
We are also following the dramatic  development and would expect any new
leader to give President Kaba the respect  he deserves. The AU, the Commonwealth
and the UN should never fail to tap his  talents. It is very clear that he has
not manipulated the system of political  succession in Sierra Leone and has
therefore sown the seed of peace and  stability. It is left to each Sierra
Leonean to own his or her mind and refuse  to be a tool of any leader.

7 Unionists at NIA
Seven leaders of  the Dock and Maritime Workers Union were “invited” to the
NIA Headquarters for  questioning. They are Malamin Ceesay – President, Amadou
Touray – Vice  President, Landing Sanyang – Secretary General, Yusupha Ndow –
 Trustee, Alagie  Kebba Gassama – Adviser, Abdoulie Faal and Ousman Senghore.
Some went to the NIA  Headquarters on Monday where they spent the night.
Others went to the  headquarters on Tuesday. They were all released on bail on
Tuesday. The reason  for the invitation is not known.
However, reports reaching Foroyaa suggest  that the union leaders are being
persuaded to call off their strike which has  been scheduled for 1 September.
Union leaders maintain that they want to sit and  discuss with the GPA
management but the GPA management has refused to do so and  has gone further to seize
their rights. They blame the GPA for the development.  The Dock and Maritime
Workers Union has been in contradiction with The Gambia  Ports Authority for a
long period on the issue of a suitable dock labour scheme.
From the perspective of the GPA Management the dockworkers should be
absorbed and become employees of the GPA. On the other hand, the Dock and  Maritime
Workers Union has been advocating for an independent stevedoring  association
which can organise dock labour and bargain with the GPA Management  for wages.
The GPA has recently invited dockworkers for registration and  recruitment.
Some dockworkers have been registered and recruited but others have  refused to
do so.

Gov’t Shares in Gamtel Sold?
Gamtel is yet to  clear the air on rumours of the sale of 50% of its shares
to “Spectrum”, a  Lebanese owned company. When Foroyaa received information
from a reliable  source, a fortnight ago, top management was approached but our
reporter was  directed to the public relations officer who said at the time
that that was news  to him. Several attempts have been made to confirm the
information but without  success.

Repatriated Gambian Migrant in The Dock
By Modou  Jonga
Following the issuance of an arrest warrant by the court, on a series  of
occasion for the arrest of a twenty one year old repatriated Gambian migrant,
Bakary Ngum, (who was repatriated from Spain on 28 October, 2006), the accused
was on Tuesday 21 August 2007, arraigned in court under police escort from the
 Brikama Police Station. The accused is said to have absconded out of the
jurisdiction of the said court for more than a month.
When the case was  called before Magistrate E.F. M’bai, Prosecutor Inspector
629 Saine informed the  court of the presence of the accused person who was
detained at the Brikama  Police Station after he was arrested.
While applying for an adjournment,  inspector Saine told the court that the
surety for the accused want to withdraw  as a surety, but the Presiding
Magistrate urged for the prosecution to get to  the office of the court registrar to
facilitate such withdrawal.
The accused  person who pleaded not guilty is alleged to have conducted
himself in a manner  that is conducive to the breach of the peace at the Banjul
International  Airport, shortly after he was deported from Spain.

In Airport  Trespass Trial
Accused Alleges Torture
By Modou Jonga
The first accused  person in the Banjul International Airport trespass trial,
Mustapha Touray, on  Tuesday 21 August 2007, has told the Brikama Magistrates’
 Court that after his  arrest at his residence in Yundum by Aviation Security
Personnel, he was  handcuffed and tortured by CID personnel at Yundum police
station in  Banjulinding, a day after his arrest.
The first accused made these remarks  while entering his defence before
Magistrate E.F M’bai. According to the  accused, he was informed of a theft case at
the Airport on 12 June 2007  concerning a handbag. He said his house was
later searched before he was whisked  away to the Yundum police station. The
accused noted that he has consistently  denied stealing the said bag and that
during his arrest he was repeatedly  tortured inorder for him to admit committing
the said theft. He further told the  court that his house was dug by the police
attached to Yundum police station who  used a spade in order to recover the
purported stolen bag.
Speaking further,  the accused told the court that he was detained and
tortured for three days, and  that on the fourth day, he was informed by the police
that the passport and the  air ticket of the complainant was seen.
While being cross examined by  prosecutor Corporal 413 Sanyang, the accused
denied being at the Airport on 12th  June, 2007 and that he gave his statement
to the police.
The accused  persons, Mustapha Touray, Bakary Gomez, Lamin Janneh, Musa
Camara, Lamin Bojang,  Omar Tiyana, Ebrima Tiyana, Essa Camara and Youba Krubally
are dragged to court  by the state for allegedly violating section 90(1) of the
Civil Aviation Act  2004. The nine youths have pleaded not guilty to
illegally entering the Banjul  International Airport on 12th June2007, with intent to
annoy, intimidate or  insult people.

TAYAM Distributes 58,517 Insecticide Treated  Nets
By Isatou Bittaye
Mr. Omar Ceesay, Acting Project Director of the  Association of Youth Against
Malaria (TAYAM), has said that 58,517 insecticide  treated nets (ITNs) have
been distributed this year. Mr. Ceesay made this  statement in an interview
with Foroyaa on Monday at his office in Serrekunda. He  said the nets have been
distributed to children under 5years, pregnant women and  the “Differentially
able”, including refugees, are the target groups for ITNs in  the three
administrative regions, that is Banjul, Kanifing Municipality and  Western Region.
Mr. Ceesay added that the usage of ITNs has contributed in  curbing malaria
mobility especially among the target groups. He said people are  responding to the
usage of ITNs positively, noting that there is an increase  within the global
fund. Mr. Ceesay indicated that sensitization on the usage of  ITNs and
malaria in general has been carried out in the print and electronic  media,
community groups, youth groups and Kabilos. He noted that the nets have  been
distributed to the target groups free of charge and they are available in  both
public and private health centers. Mr. Ceesay urged people who fall in the
category of target groups to go and collect the net at the health centers.  According
to him, there is no provision for people who are outside the target  groups,
but was quick to say that such people should purchase their nets and  people
in his organization would dip the nets in the insecticide, free of charge  for
them.

GADHOH MEETS THE PRESS
By Ebrima Dibbasey
On Monday  20 August 2007 The Gambia Association of Deaf and Hard of Hearing
organised a  press conference at its headquarters in Banjul.
In opening the press  conference Mr. Dodou Loum, the Executive Director of
GADHOH, welcomes the media  representatives present. Mr. Loum outlined the
objectives of the press  conference. He said their intention is to create a good
relationship between his  association and the media. He said that the key
objective of his association is  to raise the awareness of people about deafness. He
said in this pursuit the  media cannot be left out.
He further said GADHOH is formed in 1992 and has  registered 600 members,
with divisional branches at Brikama, Soma, Barra and  Farafenni, plus a female
wing, youth wing, children and deaf clubs.
He  further said GADHOH has 9 member staff working at their head office.
He said  their friends in Ireland are helping them to build their head office
at  Kanifing. At the end of the press conference they donated two bicycles to
the  Barra and Brikama branches. Presentation of the bicycles was done by
Alvean  Jones, VSO Volunteer working with GADHOH, while Mr. Karamo Sanyang,
Chairperson  of the Brikama branch, thanked donors for their support. He said the
bicycles  will help them to search for new members to join the association.
Other speakers  included Amie Cham, Chairperson female wing, Lamin Ceesay,
Landing Badjie,  Ousman Jallow, Serifo Conteh and Yaya Jabby.

HOUSE GUTTED BY FIRE  IN ESSAU VILLAGE NBR
By Ousman MM. Jallow
The house of Hamadi Sowe, a  resident of Essau village NBR, was ravaged by
fire. According to the victim, the  inferno occurred on Wednesday 26 of July
2007, between 9pm – 10pm.
The fire  was reportedly caused by a burning candle. The inferno had consumed
the entire  household materials, including a cash amount of seventy thousand
CFA and twenty  six thousand dalasi.
Hamadi Sowe, who was in a state of shock at the time of  this interview, said
the valuables lost to the fire included D.V.D set, one  Tiger Generator,
clothes and a set of arm chairs.
Hamadi Sowe is working  under the judiciary as interpreter for NBR.
Mr. Sowe is calling on all  philanthropic organizations and NGOs to help his
family in this trying  time.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
A WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE
By Amie  Sillah
Part 1
Doctor and Mrs Robberts were blessed with three beautiful  girls. Kate or
Catherine was the eldest, followed by Charlotte then Monalisa  shortened as Lisa.
Mrs. Robberts yearned for a son but to no avail. Dr. Robberts  is not worried
to have a son. “A child is a child!” he consoled his wife. “God  have given
us three lovely daughters we should thank him for that. What about  couples
who are bless with none and they are still together and living happily.
Children are abound who need care and support. One can always adopt any child  you
want.” Mrs. Robberts responded. “What about your kinsmen? They are taunting
you for lack of a son. They are urging you to marry a second wife. They are
seeing me as useless. I am not holding you. You can marry a second wife who will
bear you a son.” Madame urged her husband. Did doctor marry a second wife?
What  happen to Mrs. Robberts. The girls grew up into beautiful damsels. What
become  of each of them after the demise of their parents?
Read to find  out.

A Happy Family
The Robberts are a happy family blessed with  three beautiful daughters.
Catherine or Kate is the first daughter. She is  followed by Charlotte. Monalisa
is the last born (Chat). Their parents dotted on  them especially their dad
doctor Robberts. Mrs. Robberts or Mama Kate is  obsessed with having a son.
Whenever she thinks of it she becomes moody. Daddy  asked the girls to make their
wish after a thanks giving meal. Kate the eldest  spoke. “Dad! Mum! I wish to
become a doctor to take care of the sick and to give  advice to people to live
healthy.” “That’s excellent! I pray to God to grant  your wish.” Then came
Charlotte’s turn. “Mum! Dad! I wish to become a barrister  at law. To defend
people’s rights and to ensure justice is done.” “That’s  excellent! I Pray
God grant your wish.” Then came the Chat, Monalisa. “Mum! Dad!  I wish to
become a Business Administrator so that I’ll carry on Dad’s business  acumen and
takes the Robberts flag to higher heights.” Dad was overwhelmed. He  was
excited. He jumped high up and embraced Lisa. “I am happy that my last born  ‘chat’
will carry on my profession. I was a bit worried that my business empire
would be left to rot. Thank you my abled colleague. Congratulations!”
Mama  also made her wish. “I wish to have a son who would become a world
leader.” Dad  made his wish. “I wish all my girls be blessed and God to grant
them their wish  Amen!” “What about my wish.” Mama protested. “Let God grant
you your wish but to  me it makes no difference. God have blessed us with three
lovely daughters. I  thank Him for that. “They took a toast. There was fun,
laughter, merriment and  happiness. The thanks giving food was a delicacy and
mouth watering. “We will  all go shopping for Christmas tomorrow.” Dad
announced.

Shopping  With Mum and Dad
They shopped at ‘Banjul’. Everybody bought something for  herself, himself.
They also bought plenty of household items, clothes, shoes,  jewelry and toys.
A happy family indeed!

Children Playing, Riding  by the Pool
The girls played around the pool. They rode their bikes and have  fun while
their parents watched and were part of the fun. Mama Kate called the  girls to
come and have their midday milk. They all declined with the exception  of
Monalisa. She came for her midday drink. “You are healthier than them. Your
sisters hardly eat these days. They have to be dewormed.” Mama Kate  concluded.

Going to Church
Charlotte put on an excessive makeup.  She delayed the family. Papa became
impatient. “Go and get your sister. What is  she doing in her room? We are
already late for Church.” Catherine went to call  her. “Give me five minutes! Am
coming.” Said Charlotte. She finally came down.  Papa criticize her make up. “
You are vulgar. Just like a masquerade.” Mama Kate  rubbed off Charlotte’s
make up. She also criticized her. “Concentrate on your  education and not on
makeups. You are too young for it.” Charlotte sulked and  blamed her parents.

Aunty Beatrice
Aunty Beatrice fondly called  Aunty Bea is Doctor Robberts’ elder sister. She
is Mama Kate’s greatest  adversary. She criticized her for not bearing a male
issue for doctor and  putting a spell on him not to take a concubine or to
impregnate a woman outside.  They are not on speaking terms. Whenever she
visits, Mama Kate refuses to attend  to her. During this visit she met her sibling
Doctor Robberts. “Ayo! Where is  your witch of wife? She still refuses to bear
you a son. What sort of wife is  she? I never supported you marrying her. My
favourite was Maggie. She is now  married with three sons and a daughter. Your
witch gave you three useless girls  who will marry away vanishing your father’
s name. You are bewitched. I wanted to  break the spell but you would not let
me.’ “Stop sister Bea! I don’t want to  insult you. Leave my wife alone. I am
a doctor for God’s sake. I am the one  carrying the male chromosome. If I don’
t release it to join my wife’s female  chromosome she cannot bear a male
child. I love my children irrespective of  their sex. Don’t come to my home and
cause harvoc. I love my wife; if it is your  problem stop coming to my home. You
are welcome only if you don’t cause  problem.” “Are you driving me from your
home because I tell you the truth?”  Aunty Bea questioned. “Suit yourself!
Don’t break my peace! I need it badly  after a hectic hospital work.” The
girls came from school. Mama Kate was at the  family factory managing it.
The girls met a tense mood between their dad and  his only sister and his
elder for that matter. “Whats happening dad?” “Good  afternoon Aunty Bea.” “
What is good about the afternoon with your stubborn dad  ignoring my good advice?”
 The children were taken aback by Aunty Bea’s nasty  mood. “Go to your
rooms. We will discuss later.” Dad ordered. The girls raised  their eyebrows and
shook their heads. They rushed to their  rooms.

Mama Kate Comes Home
The children narrated the experience  to her. She cried and became very
depressed. “She is trouble. She always come to  my home to torment us about a male
issue. She is not on speaking terms with me.”  Mama Kate lamented.

Mama Kate and Her Husband
Mama Kate asked  doctor to take on a concubine to give him a son. “I am a
Christian. I cannot  marry a second wife. I cannot commit adultery in taking a
concubine. Forget  about negative comments from every angle. I don’t care about
them. They cannot  influence me to run my home.” “I am the woman. I care.”
Put in Mama Kate  Robberts. “I value women darling! I value my daughters. I’ll
train them to any  height. They’ll surely make it God’s willing.” Doctor
Robberts  emphasized.

The Patriarchs Come To Doctor
His brothers were  agitated by Aunty Bea to put more pressure on him. “Even
though I am his eldest  sister but I am a woman. You are his brothers and
elders. Go to him and  pressurized him to take in a mistress who will bear him a
son.” The brothers  went to meet doctor. He quarreled with them and asked them
out of his house.  Mama Kate heard them. She is hypertensive. She  collapsed.

Disability Does not Mean Inability
OFFICIALS’ OF THE  SECRETARIAT OF THE AFRICAN DECADE OF PERSONS WITH
DISABILITY VISIT THE  GAMBIA
Continental United for Disabled People is making all efforts to  mainstream
disability in national policies and programmes. Foroyaa’s reporter  caught up
with a delegate who shed light on the mission in a follow up  interview.
Foroyaa: Can you introduce yourself to our readership?
Mr.  Faal: My name is Mohamed Faal. I am the Programme Manager in the
Secretariat of  African Decade of Persons with Disability for West, North and Central
Africa.
Foroyaa: Where is your Regional Office located?
Mr. Faal: Our office is  located in Dakar, Senegal.
Foroyaa: When did you arrive in The Gambia?
Mr.  Faal: We arrived since the 28 July 2007, and I will be leaving sooner
than my  colleague, Aida Sarr, who is the Assistant Program Assistant. She will
leave on  the 4 August 2007.
Foroyaa: What is your mission to The Gambia?
Mr. Faal:  Our mission is to meet The Gambia Government Authorities, disabled
peoples’  organisations, NGO Community and various stakeholders in the field
of  disability, so as to inform them about African Decade Programmes and
activities,  as this programmes are on- going and should be implemented in The
Gambia too. As  you may already know The Gambia is part of the African Union (AU)
and this  programme is designed by AU members.
Foroyaa: Since you arrived in The  Gambia, which departments, authorities or
NGO’s have you met?
Mr. Faal: We  have had a meeting with the SOS for Health and Social Welfare,
Mr. Tamsir Mbowe  and Director of Social Welfare, Madam Fanta Ceesay, VSO
(Voluntary Service  Overseas) VSO/DPO Steering Committee, where most of the
Disable Organisation  leaders meet.
Foroyaa: What will be your first priority, inorder words, which  areas are
you focusing on in your partnership for the implementation of the  African
Decade for persons with disability?
Mr. Faal: First and foremost, we  are doing work with your existing VSO/DPO
Steering Committee and we will expand  it to include some of the key sectors.
In some African countries there are no  such structures in place, but here we
are lucky to find this committee in place.  Therefore, we believe we need to
have a multi polar approach if we are going to  have sustainability. Secondly,
we will build the capacity of your steering  committee; we will also conduct a
training for journalists, training of trainees  and the formation of managed
committee. The African Decade Secretariat will  cover the cost and the training
will be conducted before the end of the year.  There will be a management
committee meeting in Dakar where representatives from  the Management Committee
of The Gambia will attend.
Foroyaa: What does this  African Decade of Persons with Disability mean?
Mr. Faal: In July 2001, in  Lome, Togo, the Organisation of African Unity
(OAU), Assembly of heads of States  and Governments in its 36th Session, declared
the African Decade of persons with  Disability for the period 1999 to 2009.
Inorder to facilitate the implementation  of the African Decade of Persons with
Disability, a continental plan of action  was adopted by the African Union
(AU) Assembly of Heads of States and  Governments at its 38th Session held in
Durban (South Africa) in July  2002.
Object 11 of the Decade Continental Plan of Action, urged all member  states
to set coordinating, monitoring and evaluating mechanisms of the  activities
to be implemented. The creation of the national coordinating bodies  had been
recommended, to facilitate the establishment of the National Steering
Committee in the African Countries or to strengthen the existing  ones.
Foroyaa: Why did the AU come up with this?
Mr. Faal: This is a  programme of the African Union (AU). African Disabled
are under developed,  marginalized and discriminated, their needs and
aspirations are not mentioned  mostly in governments and Civil Society, therefore the AU
sees the need to  mainstream and include disability issues in all member
countries. The overall  aims of the Decade are stipulated in plans of action by
the Pan African  Conference on the African Decade of Persons with Disability.
Foroyaa: What  types of structures are in place to foster the smooth
implementation of this  golden idea?
Mr. Faal: In 2003 the African Regional Consultation Conference  agreed to
establish a secretariat to facilitate the implementation process of  the Decade,
Mr. Faal further opined that the secretariat was launched in Cape  Town, in
South Africa, in 2004 whose main mission is to empower governments,  DSCS, DPOS
and developmental organisations, to work in partnership to include  disability
issues and persons with disabilities into government programmes and  policies
in all sectors of societies in Africa.
This will be done through  capacity building, advocacy, lobbying,
coordination, monitoring and  reporting.
Foroyaa: For one to work in the field of disability is a daunting  challenge,
how will we make sure these noble objectives are achieved?
Mr.  Faal: Really working in the field of disability is not an easy task,
considering  the concepts and believes of the people with regard to disability
but I believe  that when we are committed we will be able to make head way which
will be a  creation of a viable society for all.
Foroyaa: What is your word of advice to  disabled people’s organisations and
the Government?
Mr. Faal: DPOS should be  more democratic, be accountable to their members
and have regular Annual General  Meetings and accept changes of leadership. For
the Government, I am appealing  for their support in the implementation
process of the programmes and activities  of African Decade, as the programme was
designed by them the members states of  the AU. All the development partners
like UN system in The Gambia, NGOs and  Private Sectors should support and
encourage the empowerment process and  contribute effectively and efficiently,
morally and financially.
Foroyaa:  Thank you for spearing your valuable time and sharing your
knowledge for this  interview.
Mr. Faal: It’s a pleasure.

SHERATON LAUNCHES KIDS’  MENU
By Annia Gaye
Sheraton Gambia Hotel Resort last Friday launched kids  menu with a selection
of children from the SoS village in Bakoteh. In a ceremony  held at the hotel
in Brufut, the kids menu would be a cover design for  children’s menu for the
hotel. Over 25 children under the age of twelve  participated in the
competition in order for them to draw their favourite dish  so as to determine the
best of the best. The lucky winner among the competitors  was Isatou Njie Saidy,
11 year old child’s drawing will be designed to be used  in front of the
children’s menu for the hotel. The panel of judges were drawn  from The Gambia
Tourism Authority (GTA), Gambia Hotel Association (GHA), ASSET,  Child Protection
Alliance (CPA) voice of the young and Tourism and Travel  Association so as to
choose the best competitors.
Speaking at the launching,  the General manager of Sheraton, who is the
initiator of the project stated that  they wanted the children to create their own
menu rather than the hotel doing  it. “We believe that they are in a best
position to decide what they want for  themselves.” She further stated that they
wanted to be part of the community  that is why they choose SoS children’s
village for them to do it for  children.
Alieu Secka the Chairman of The Gambia Hotel Association said it  was not an
easy task for them to choose the best, but noted that at the end they  decided
to choose the best three of the most eye catching drawings in which  Isatou
Njie Saidy, 11 years, won. Mr. Secka thanked Sheraton Gambia for taking  such
an initiative for children.
Emmanuel Mendy, deputy Director of SoS  children village expressed his
happiness that Sheraton has chosen the SoS  children’s village to do the selection
of the best menu for kids for the  hotel.

CPA Trains Local Government Authorities On Child  Rights And Protection
By Annia Gaye
Child Protection Alliance (CPA) in  collaboration with Action Aid The Gambia,
has organized a three day training  workshop on Child Rights and Child
Protection for local government authorities  from Banjul City Council (BCC),
Kanifing Municipal Council (KMC) and Brikama  Area Council. The three-day training
started on Tuesday at the Kanifing  Municipal Council Chambers. The training is
meant to discuss various child  rights and protection issues in the country
and the role of local government in  addressing the problem.
Speaking at the opening of the training workshop, the  Secretary of State for
Local Government and Lands, Hon. Ismaila Sambou, said  that children are “our
hope for a better and brighter world” and that “The world  of children can
only be positively changed by a small group of thoughtful,  committed and
dedicated men and women who sincerely believe in their mission.”  He further stated
that the administration of Banjul, Kanifing and Brikama  combined has the
highest population of children, therefore these administrative  areas need to
become more Central in their planning and programming, so as to  adequately
support vulnerable children and their families.
Hon. Sambou noted  that children in towns and cities face situations that
compromise their  childhood and also impair their lives. He said “Children are
abused and  exploited by adults in positions of authority, and also by those
whose care and  protection they are entrusted. He said that as a government, they
would continue  to put children issues high on their agenda. He said local
governments have the  responsibility to lead the way in the protection of
children in their spheres.  He concluded by saying that “It is terrible that some
children are not having  the time and space to enjoy their childhood. It would
be greater evil if we fail  to take action to stop it.”
Delivering his remarks, the mayor of KMC, Alieu  Momar Njie, mentioned that
the effects of sexual abuse and exploitation on  children are profound, deep
and often permanent, noting that their self-esteem,  confidence and trust are
undermined and dented. He further mentioned that normal  physical and emotional
development of children is compromised and that the  majority of sexually
abused and exploited children are denied their basic rights  to education, leisure
and play. “They are inadequately protected,” he said.
Mr. Njie noted that to protect children from sexual abuse and exploitation
requires action on the ground, in families, communities and local government
authorities that deal directly with communities. He said the local government
authorities would continue to work tirelessly and ardently towards achieving
the  rights and protection that they acknowledged as being inherent and
inalienable  dues of children.  He called on local government authorities to join
forces  and combat the sexual abuse and exploitation of children in The Gambia as
they  owe it to the children who are abused and who are at risk of becoming
victims.  Mr. Njie challenged LGAs to step up for public information campaign
against  sexual abuse and exploitation of children. He informed the
participants that KMC  already has a center for under-privileged children in partnership
with Standard  Chartered Bank, and that the Department of Social Welfare had
also established  recreational parks in Tallinding and Kotu. He concluded that
they would continue  to shape their budget and development projects to cater
for children in The  Gambia.
Other speakers were the president of the Voice of the Young, Lamin  Ceesay,
acting deputy mayor of Banjul, Mr. Winston Shyngle, governor Abdou  Badjie of
the Western region and Njundu Drammeh of Child Protection  Alliance.

Magistrate Issues Ultimatum
By Modou  Jonga
Magistrate EF M’bai had, on Tuesday, urged the prosecutor in the  criminal
case involving the fourteen residents of Pirang who were recently  dragged to
court following a land dispute in Pirang to proceed with the  prosecution of the
case, failing which he will discharge the accused persons on  28 August.
When the case was called in the absence of some of the accused  persons, the
prosecutor stood up and applied for a short adjournment, citing  that his
first witness has fallen sick and is therefore unable to be in court.  When asked
by the presiding magistrate to substitute the said witness with  another
prosecution witness hence the case has been adjourned on numerous  occasions, ASP
Camara said he has a reason for starting his case with the said  witness.
While urging the accused persons to be in court on time, the  presiding
Magistrate had also urged the prosecutor to be ready to proceed on the  next
adjournment date, otherwise he will discharge the accused persons  accordingly.
The fourteen residents of Pirang who were arrested on 28 July  and charged
with two count criminal charges are Duta Drammeh, Sheriffo Drammeh,  Lamin
Drammeh, Karamo Gassama, Sulayman Drammeh, Amidou Jenkies, Masanneh  Drammeh, Omar
Gassama, Saja Drammeh, Lamin Ceesay, Yaya Drammeh, Baba Gassama,  Alasana
Drammeh and Momodou Gassama.
On count one, the accused persons, are  alleged to have committed criminal
trespass by entering the farm of M.G Fielder,  with intent to intimidate or
annoy the latter on 28 July 2007 at the said place,  contrary to section 285 of
the Criminal Code.
On count two, the fourteen are  alleged to have willfully damaged the farm of
M.G Fielder by sowing corn in the  said farm. They have all pleaded not
guilty to the preferred charges against  them. The presiding Magistrate has in the
previous. Sitting 30 July 2007 ruled  that the accused persons and their
agents should refrain from interfering in the  said land till the final
determination of the case in  court.

Two Athletes for World Champs
By Modou  Nyang
Ansu Sowe and Fatou Tiyana are the only athletes that are to represent  the
Gambia at the World Athletic Championships when the World’s elites gather in
Osaka, Japan this weekend.
Sowe, an established long and middle distance  runner will feature in the
1,500 metres whilst Tiyana will do in the female 100  metres sprint. The 11th
edition of the World Games is to start on Saturday 25th  and the only other
Gambians in Japan for the event are the Secretary General of  the Gambia Athletic
Association (GAA) and Council member for Africa Commission,  Alhagie Dodou Joof
and Fred Lloyd Evans President of the GAA. They are to attend  the
International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) congress holding today, for  elections
to fill positions at the high level of the Athletics World governing  body.
The championships will run from Saturday 25th August to Sunday 2nd  September.
The delegation from the Gambia left for Japan last Sunday and  Sowe will jet
from Kenya to join them in Osaka, early enough to aclimatise to  the weather
in the Far East before the competitions begin.
Ansu Sowe is  currently based in Kenya, where he trains at the Kip Keino High
Altitude  Training center under an Olympic Solidarity scholarship. He is
currently  Gambia’s top most athletes, after Jaysuma Saidy ditched Gambian
nationality in  favour of Norway. And young Fatou Tiyana, is a promising sprinter and
this is  her first outing in a major world event which will add to her
growing  experience.

SK West Nawettan Update
By Bakary Seedy  Dampha
Manjai United shared points with Kanifing United on Sunday as Ajax won
Tigers FC by a lone goal at the Serrekunda West Nawettan.
Kanifing United  where the better of the day against Manjai crating most of
the chances but  failed to utilise them, whilst Manjai held fort the marauding
Kanifing attackers  to collect a point.
In the other matches Saal-bi was playing Boyz United as  we went to press and
today Gamstar will take on Dippakunda giants  Pencha.