GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:01:38 -0400
Rule of Law:

Such a short phrase can be the only key that can guarantee the future development of a nation, than oil wells, copper mines and technological resources. If there is one thing that the developed countries have, and all developing nations have challenges with, is the implementation of rule of law as the foundation to our civilization.

There will always be the debate, which political system can bring about prosperity, stability and development? And maybe the jury is still out with this issue, but what is fundamental, is that no political system will ever survive without the rule of law. To bring this topic closer to home, the Jammeh administration is quick to argue about their commitment to economic development, effort in education, infrastructure, health and agriculture. And even their distracters will somewhat admit that there have been efforts put in these areas, but what is also very apparent, is that the future of the Gambia is still bleak. And definitely, after reading President Jammeh’s July 22 speech, any honest Gambian will know that we are in deeper waters, and the Captain of the ship is clueless to how to rescue the drowning of our nation.

“Rule of law”, the irony is that Jammeh’s ultimate power is derived from the constitution, the single document, the only document that guarantees and protect the survival and existence of the Gambia as a civilization. And President Jammeh continuously violates and flout with the very document that give him any sort of power he thinks he has. Such a document was created because in the absence of rule of law, anarchy and lawlessness will be the alternative, and that is one rout that can bring about the end of any civilization. The sacking of supreme court justice Hassan Jallow is the most recent action that violated every letter of the constitution, and outside of some newspapers, and maybe a feeble respond from the opposition, the deal is done and that will be the end of it. It is rather sad and frustrating that there is no other structure within the arm of government that can quickly respond to make sure, the President cannot with a stroke of a pen violate the very law that guarantees the survival of our civilization. Yes, the very law that gives him the power of the Presidency.

Is the judiciary going to stand idly by and allow a person to corrupt and violate the very essence of their existence? Clearly, it is a shame that anyone who participates in the political process should in anyway tolerate the violation of the constitution by the President. Maybe, it is time to make it difficult for the man to govern. He has to understand that the constitution guarantees each and every one of us and the continuity of our civilization. Either everyone rights is protected, or nobodies rights is guaranteed, including the power of the presidency.

Thanks

Musa Jeng