GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:05:25 EST
I have been following the discussions going on between Saul Saidykhan and
Yusupha Jow. It looks like it is coming to a conclusion, so I would resist
not to add any more fuel to the dying fire.
Anyway, this tells us that there are more scores to settle as a nation. A lot
of those opposing Jammeh might be doing it for the fact that he "stop their
parties and vacation trips" as Jammeh himself said it before. Some are in it,
because they just oppose him and some secondary to ISSUES.
There are three camps here to my count. I have read a lot of people here
saying that such discussions damage the opposition on the L to the regime,
but I personally think that such discussions as long as no insults have been
fired need to be discussed.
I certainly can relate to those who think that their family member(s) should
not be discussed, but they have to understand that if their family members
agreed to take leading positions in the regime one day or another, they might
be criticized. In fact this is one reason, why I think we should be able to
identify the differences between what the government does and what a civil
servant in the government is for. It is easier to call all civil servants to
step down, but how would they feed their families? I am sure not everyone in
the former regime was as corrupt as Jawara, and not all those in the former
Clinton regime either where womanizers.
Please let us all base our arguments, weak or strong on issues and not
condemn one another for its sake.

Ousman Bojang.